Not what you want?
Try searching again using:
1. Other similar-meaning words.
2. Fewer words or just one word.
Buy a Mahjong calligraphy wall scroll here!
Start your custom "Mahjong" project by clicking the button next to your favorite "Mahjong" title below...
麻雀 is the common and specific name for a hemp sparrow bird in Chinese.
This was also the original name for the game known commonly as Mahjong. You will still see boxes of Mahjong tiles with the title 麻雀 for sparrow instead of the modern 麻將 in Southern China. This title is also used for Mahjong in Japan.
Below are some entries from our dictionary that may match your mahjong search...
If shown, 2nd row is Simp. Chinese
|Simple Dictionary Definition|
| hé / he2
kanou / kano かのえ
| to mix (ingredients) together; to blend; classifier for rinses of clothes; classifier for boilings of medicinal herbs; to combine a powdery substance (flour, plaster etc) with water; Taiwan pr. [huo4]; to complete a set in mahjong or playing cards; to compose a poem in reply (to sb's poem) using the same rhyme sequence; to join in the singing; to chime in with others; and; together with; with; sum; union; peace; harmony; Taiwan pr. [han4] when it means "and" or "with"; surname He; Japanese (food, clothes etc)
(1) (mathematics term) sum; (2) harmony; peace; (n,n-pref,adj-no) (3) Japan; Japanese-style; (noun or adjectival noun) (kana only) soft; fragile; weak; poorly built; insubstantial; (adj-nari) (archaism) tranquil; calm; quiet; peaceful; calm (at sea); lull; (given name) Wataru; (surname) Wazusaki; (surname) Wazaki; (surname) Wasaki; (female given name) Wakana; (surname, given name) Wa; (female given name) Yori; (given name) Yoshi; (surname, female given name) Yawara; (female given name) Yamato; (female given name) Yasura; (given name) Yasushi; (female given name) Yasu; (female given name) Mutsumi; (female given name) Madoka; (personal name) Masa; (female given name) Honoka; (female given name) Hiyori; (female given name) Hina; (male given name) Hito
Harmony, peace; to blend, mix; with, unite with; respond, rhyme; to be soft
More info / calligraphy:
Peace / Harmony
| má jiàng / ma2 jiang4
| mahjong; CL:副[fu4]
More info / calligraphy:
| má què / ma2 que4
ma ch`üeh / ma chüeh
maajan / majan マージャン
| sparrow; (dialect) mahjong
mahjong (chi:); mah-jongg
More info / calligraphy:
| zi / zi
| (noun suffix); son; child; seed; egg; small thing; 1st earthly branch: 11 p.m.-1 a.m., midnight, 11th solar month (7th December to 5th January), year of the Rat; Viscount, fourth of five orders of nobility 五等爵位[wu3 deng3 jue2 wei4]; ancient Chinese compass point: 0° (north)
(1) fruit; nut; (2) seed; (3) (in broth) pieces of meat, vegetable, etc.; (4) content; substance; first sign of Chinese zodiac (The Rat, 11pm-1am, north, November); (suffix) (archaism) (honorific or respectful language) honorific (or familiar) suffix used after a name; (1) child (esp. a boy); (2) viscount; (3) (honorific or respectful language) master (founder of a school of thought, esp. Confucius); (4) philosophy (branch of Chinese literature); non-Confucian Hundred Schools of Thought writings; (5) (archaism) you (of one's equals); (suffix noun) (6) -er (i.e. a man who spends all his time doing...); (1) (obscure) child; (n,n-suf) (2) (obscure) interest; (n,n-suf) (1) child; (2) young (animal); (3) young woman; young geisha; (4) offshoot; (5) interest; (6) (abbreviation) new shares; (7) player who is not a dealer (in cards, mahjong, etc.); (n,n-suf) (8) (archaism) bird egg; (suffix noun) (9) -er (often of young women); (personal name) Nene; (place-name) Ne; (given name) Shigeru; (female given name) Konoe; (surname) Ko
kumāra; son; seed; sir; 11-1 midnight; child
| yì / yi4
| forced labor; corvée; obligatory task; military service; to use as servant; to enserf; servant (old); war; campaign; battle
(n,n-suf) (1) use; service; role; (2) post; position; (3) scoring combination (e.g. in mahjong, card games, etc.); hand; (1) war; campaign; battle; (2) (archaism) unpaid work (ritsuryo system); forced labor; (given name) Mamoru; (personal name) Mamori; (surname) Oose; (surname) En; (surname) Eki
| ér / er2
| Japanese variant of 兒|儿[er2]
baby; child; (n-suf,n) (1) child; boy; (pronoun) (2) (archaism) I; me; (n,n-suf) (1) child; (2) young (animal); (3) young woman; young geisha; (4) offshoot; (5) interest; (6) (abbreviation) new shares; (7) player who is not a dealer (in cards, mahjong, etc.); (n,n-suf) (8) (archaism) bird egg; (suffix noun) (9) -er (often of young women); (surname) Kosaki
| zǔ / zu3
| ancestor; forefather; grandparents; surname Zu
ancestor; forefather; progenitor; (irregular kanji usage) (1) parent; parents; (2) dealer (in cards, mahjong, etc.); (3) founder; (4) (pet) owner; (surname) Takaso; (surname) So
Grandfather; ancestor; patriarch; founder; origin. See 二十八祖.
| pái / pai2
p`ai / pai
| mahjong tile; playing card; game pieces; signboard; plate; tablet; medal; CL:片[pian4],個|个[ge4],塊|块[kuai4]
(n,ctr) (mahj) tile (chi: pai); (1) medal; shield; badge; (2) card on which dharani (etc.) are written; (3) notice board (in a Zen temple); (4) tile (mahjong, dominos, etc.)
This term is used in Buddhism, but due to a licensing issue, we cannot show the definition
| zhuāng / zhuang1
teien / teen ていえん
sousaki / sosaki そうさき
sou / so そう
shou / sho しょう
| Japanese variant of 莊|庄
(suf,ctr) (mahj) counter for games of mahjong (chi: zhuang); (n,n-suf) manor; (surname) Teien; (personal name) Chon; (personal name) Tadashi; (surname) Soo; (surname) Sousaki; (surname) Sou; (given name) Shou; (surname) Kazari; (surname) Kagari
| qīn / qin1
ch`in / chin
| parents-in-law of one's offspring; parent; one's own (flesh and blood); relative; related; marriage; bride; close; intimate; in person; first-hand; in favor of; pro-; to kiss; (Internet slang) dear
(1) intimacy; closeness; friendliness; (2) close relative; (prefix noun) (3) pro- (e.g. pro-American, pro-Japanese, etc.); (1) parent; parents; (2) dealer (in cards, mahjong, etc.); (3) founder; (4) (pet) owner; (personal name) Yoshimi; (surname) Chikara; (female given name) Chikashi; (female given name) Chika; (personal name) Shinji; (personal name) Shin; (surname) Oyazaki
Personally related, own, intimate; family; a wife, marriage; feeling of intimacy
| hú / hu2
kou / ko こう
| non-Han people, esp. from central Asia; reckless; outrageous; what?; why?; to complete a winning hand at mahjong (also written 和[hu2]); surname Hu
(archaism) barbarian tribes surrounding ancient China; (surname) Fu; (surname) Go; (surname) Kou; (surname, given name) Ko; (surname) Ebisuzaki; (surname, given name) Ebisu; (surname) U
How? Why? Hun; Turk; random; hemp; long-lived; pepper, etc.; translit. go, hu.
| uma ウマ
|| horse; (mahj) points paid and received at the end of a game of mahjong based on position (rank)
| hú pái / hu2 pai2
hu p`ai / hu pai
| to win in mahjong
| mekuru めくる
| (transitive verb) (kana only) to turn over; to turn pages of a book; to tear off; to strip off; (transitive verb) (1) (kana only) to turn up; to roll up (e.g. sleeves); (suf,v5r,vt) (2) (kana only) to do a lot of ...; (transitive verb) (3) (slang) (kana only) to stage a comeback (against) (in mahjong, horse racing, etc.); to come from behind
| bān zhuān / ban1 zhuan1
| to do hard physical labor (as a job); (fig.) to play mahjong
| xǐ pái / xi3 pai2
hsi p`ai / hsi pai
shiipai / shipai シーパイ
| to shuffle cards
(mahj) shuffling of tiles; (1) (mahj) shuffling of tiles; (2) cleaning mahjong tiles
| fāng chéng / fang1 cheng2
fang ch`eng / fang cheng
houjou / hojo ほうじょう
| square castle; mahjong layout (with the tiles laid out as a square); Fangcheng county in Nanyang 南陽|南阳[Nan2 yang2], Henan
(place-name, surname) Houjou
| mō pái / mo1 pai2
mo p`ai / mo pai
| to draw a tile (at mahjong); to play mahjong
(noun/participle) (mahj) identifying a piece by touch
| dǎ pái / da3 pai2
ta p`ai / ta pai
| to play mahjong or cards
(noun/participle) (mahj) discarding a tile
| wán pái / wan2 pai2
wan p`ai / wan pai
| to play cards; to play mahjong
| pái jú / pai2 ju2
p`ai chü / pai chü
| gambling get-together; game of cards, mahjong etc
| pái xíng / pai2 xing2
p`ai hsing / pai hsing
| hand (in mahjong or card games)
| xiàng gong / xiang4 gong5
|lord; master; young gentleman; male prostitute; catamite; mahjong player disqualified by unintentionally taking in the wrong number of dominoes; (old form of address for one's husband) husband|
| miàn zi / mian4 zi5
| outer surface; outside; honor; reputation; face (as in "losing face"); self-respect; feelings; (medicinal) powder
(1) face (chi: mianzi); honour; honor; (2) (mahj) combination of three tiles that form a set; (3) personnel; members; lineup; (4) making up a four to play mahjong; game of slapping cards down to overturn opponent's
| gǔ pái / gu3 pai2
ku p`ai / ku pai
(1) playing cards; (2) (mahj) mahjong tiles made of animal bone; (kana only) karuta (por: carta); traditional Japanese playing cards
| jantaku ジャンたく
|| (mahj) mahjong board
| janshi ジャンし
|| (mahj) mahjong player; mahjong enthusiast
| jankyuu / jankyu ジャンきゅう
|| jankyu; combination of Japanese pinball and mahjong
| janpai ジャンパイ
|| (mahj) (abbreviation) mahjong tile
| jansou / janso ジャンそう
|| (mahj) mahjong parlour; mahjong parlor
The following table may be helpful for those studying Chinese or Japanese...
|Title||Characters||Romaji(Romanized Japanese)||Various forms of Romanized Chinese|
|má jiàng / ma2 jiang4 / ma jiang / majiang||ma chiang / machiang|
|Sparrow||麻雀||maa jan / maajan / ma jan / majan||má què / ma2 que4 / ma que / maque||ma ch`üeh / machüeh / ma chüeh|
|In some entries above you will see that characters have different versions above and below a line.|
In these cases, the characters above the line are Traditional Chinese, while the ones below are Simplified Chinese.
Successful Chinese Character and Japanese Kanji calligraphy searches within the last few hours...
All of our calligraphy wall scrolls are handmade.
When the calligrapher finishes creating your artwork, it is taken to my art mounting workshop in Beijing where a wall scroll is made by hand from a combination of silk, rice paper, and wood.
After we create your wall scroll, it takes at least two weeks for air mail delivery from Beijing to you.
Allow a few weeks for delivery. Rush service speeds it up by a week or two for $10!
When you select your calligraphy, you'll be taken to another page where you can choose various custom options.
The wall scroll that Sandy is holding in this picture is a "large size"
single-character wall scroll.
We also offer custom wall scrolls in small, medium, and an even-larger jumbo size.
Professional calligraphers are getting to be hard to find these days.
Instead of drawing characters by hand, the new generation in China merely type roman letters into their computer keyboards and pick the character that they want from a list that pops up.
There is some fear that true Chinese calligraphy may become a lost art in the coming years. Many art institutes in China are now promoting calligraphy programs in hopes of keeping this unique form of art alive.
Even with the teachings of a top-ranked calligrapher in China, my calligraphy will never be good enough to sell. I will leave that to the experts.
The same calligrapher who gave me those lessons also attracted a crowd of thousands and a TV crew as he created characters over 6-feet high. He happens to be ranked as one of the top 100 calligraphers in all of China. He is also one of very few that would actually attempt such a feat.
Check out my lists of Japanese Kanji Calligraphy Wall Scrolls and Old Korean Hanja Calligraphy Wall Scrolls.
Some people may refer to this entry as Mahjong Kanji, Mahjong Characters, Mahjong in Mandarin Chinese, Mahjong Characters, Mahjong in Chinese Writing, Mahjong in Japanese Writing, Mahjong in Asian Writing, Mahjong Ideograms, Chinese Mahjong symbols, Mahjong Hieroglyphics, Mahjong Glyphs, Mahjong in Chinese Letters, Mahjong Hanzi, Mahjong in Japanese Kanji, Mahjong Pictograms, Mahjong in the Chinese Written-Language, or Mahjong in the Japanese Written-Language.