What is this?

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
dreadpiratefluffy

What is this?

Post by dreadpiratefluffy » May 11, 2011 8:51 am

Hi,

When I got my first tattoo it didn't even cross my mind to double check on meanings and whatnot. I am wondering if you could tell me what this character means, and what it is written in? It was straight from flash on the wall that said it means 'Courage', so I imagine it should be right but I have always wondered :D

Thanks so much for your help :)
Jen
Attachments
tattoo.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 11, 2011 9:13 pm

The native Chinese translator and I just spent a crazy amount of time trying to figure this out. Somebody seems to have smashed two characters together, making it look like it was supposed to be one character. If that character exists, it's not common, and it's so rare that it does not appear in our ancient Chinese dictionary of 20,000+ characters.

So it seems to be these two characters:

If reading from left-to-right, the first character means dog or hound. The second means to cross, to go over, to pass. Depending on context, it can mean making a mistake, transgression, or error.

Sorry, but...
"Dog Crossing" or "Hound Mistake" doesn't actually make much sense. I'm really not sure what they were trying to say here. It definitely has nothing to do with bravery or courage.

-Gary.

PS:
I know this is not good news for you, but we did put a lot of work and research into this answer. If you appreciate this effort, please donate:

The typical visitor donates $5 to $20. This allows us to continue to offer such answers.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Holy Crap!

I knew this tattoo was familiar. I kept thinking I had seen it somewhere before, which is why I spent so much time trying to find it in the ancient character dictionary. It finally dawned on me...

Please read this post from a couple years ago:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=438

The story is the same, and it proves there were some errant flashers at some tattoo parlors many years ago.

At that time, we identified the first character as (big, huge, great) because it made more sense. Yours looks a bit more like (that dot changes the meaning to dog or hound). However, looking at it again, that dot is probably part of this character: at the upper left.

I'm afraid your tattoo actually says "big mistake" or "giant error".

This whole tattoo is so jambed together and stylized that it's hard to decide which of the two characters that dot belongs to with absolute certainty.

I can't believe how common this problem is. Nobody should ever trust the Asian character information on tattoo parlor flashers. I'm actually angry at this moment toward all of the irresponsible tattoo artists that will just ink anything without any knowledge of the accuracy of the information.

-G.

dreadpiratefluffy

Post by dreadpiratefluffy » May 12, 2011 5:06 am

Um...wow...

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry my eyes out :shock: LOL...one of those things I really wish I'd known at that age to research!! I've spent the last 12 years or so with 'Big Mistake' printed on my chest, LMAO :lol:

I wonder if I can get a cover up O_O

Thanks for your help and honesty!
Jen

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 12, 2011 10:52 am

I often feel sorry for the person with the tattoo, and angry at tattoo artists who allow this to happen.

This is the first time I've had almost the same tattoo twice! I was totally floored last night when I realized that.

I've walked into tattoo parlors before, and mentioned some of the errors on the flashers. Very few of them seem to care, or otherwise claim that the flashers are correct and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. A couple times, I have cussed them out in Japanese, and then said terrible things about their mothers in Mandarin Chinese. Then I ask if they understood me (the fact that they were not beating my face in was proof they did not understand). When they say "no", I ask how they can be so sure the flashers are correct. They usually kick me out at that point.

The one exception is HD Tattoo on University Ave in San Diego. They won't even ink a single Chinese or Japanese character without double checking everything. There are some conscientious tattoo artists in the world, so there is hope.

Your tattoo would be hard to fix by adding characters or anything like that. You might want to get it covered with another tattoo that could incorporate what you have into some random pattern within the new tattoo.

Good luck!

-Gary.

JenJonesDesoto

Post by JenJonesDesoto » Jul 1, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry since I have this very same tattoo on my lower back. At least is doesn't mean my ex's name. He was with me and told me much later that he paid the tattoo "artist" (term used loosely based on your post) to put his name instead of the so-called courage. I will be visiting a reputable place to have this fixed.

JenJonesDesoto

Post by JenJonesDesoto » Jul 1, 2011 6:28 pm

Picture of "courage" tattoo attached. Looks just like the first one on the post.
Attachments
IMG-20110701-00008 resized.jpg
IMG-20110701-00008 resized.jpg (3.03 KiB) Viewed 20950 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 1, 2011 10:23 pm

I confirm, it's the same. There is a very bad flasher out there that many tattoo parlors seem to have. This is the third time I've seen someone's tattoo based on this errant info which seems to declare that this means "courage".

-Gary.