what does this mean

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
NightWolf

what does this mean

Post by NightWolf » May 4, 2009 2:13 am

Hi i got tat same as this one was surposed to say no fear man pretty sure it not what it say got told something about coffins could you please tell me what it mean thank you Image

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 5, 2009 12:51 am

It's these three characters:

The second character that you have is an alternate form of the version shown above.
I apparently never created an image of the third character (it's kind of rare). I may try to fix that later.

This is romanized as "guan cai lao" from Mandarin Chinese.

It can refer to someone who is a seller or maker of coffins.

The first two characters mean "coffin" in Chinese.

The last character means man (male). This character us used more in Cantonese than Mandarin, but understood in both dialects.

So literally it's "coffin man" or

The first character means "coffin" in Japanese Kanji and old Korean Hanja, but they don't use either of the other two characters in this combination in Japanese or Korean. They do have a couple of two-character words for coffin/casket in Japanese, but this is not one of them. So you can consider this to be a "Chinese only" title.

I imagine this is bad news, unless you own a funeral parlor, or craft fine caskets, and are proud of that fact.

-Gary.
Last edited by Gary on Mar 1, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NightWolf

Post by NightWolf » May 5, 2009 12:56 am

hi thank you it not what i hope o well hope that i can get it changed my bad should have checked it first will get tattoo shop to change

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 5, 2009 11:54 am

The translator and I discussed briefly what could be done to "fix" your tattoo. Sometimes you can add a character to change the meaning. Other times, you can add a stroke or two to a character and change the meaning. Unfortunately, we didn't come up with any easy ideas. Also, the first character being in an outline form makes it hard to add a stroke.

I have to ask a Cantonese person about this, but if you obscured the first character (changed it into a design or something to make it appear to be something other than a Chinese character), you would be left with what would sort of mean "material man".

It's hard to explain, but the first character means "coffin", and the second is just a clarifying character which makes this absolutely mean "coffin". Alone, that second character means "material". This material could be wood or other natural stuff.

It doesn't make a great title in Mandarin, but at least it doesn't mean "coffin seller" or "coffin maker". Since the last character is more common in Cantonese, thus the need to consult a Cantonese person to see if it makes any sense to them.

Can I ask how you found or came up with these characters and what you intended them to mean or thought they meant?

I am kind of on a crusade to stop (or at least warn people about) the sources of misinformation regarding Asian-character tattoos.

Cheers,
-Gary.

NightWolf

were i got

Post by NightWolf » May 5, 2009 6:53 pm

hi i got design of a wall in a tattoo palour and it had fear no man under it as what is was then looked it up on net came up with pic you saw so thought it was all good how wrong was i. I showed my friend from taiwan and he said coffin was in it so that is why i wrote to you im going into the tattoo shop to tell them to take it off there wall so no one esle gets it done mine is on back of neck which makes 4 interesting changing.[/img]