Hi

If you have searched my Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy Dictionary, and did not find the word or title that you were looking for, we'll be happy to add it for you. Just tell us the word or title you want, and what it means to you.
aixyst

Hi

Post by aixyst » May 13, 2013 8:55 am

My name is Mikael I bought from you in the past.

I would like to have translation of these in chinese for a futur tattoo and maybe a company name

- The fives elements (i know these are not the traditionnal element in china : fire, air, earth, water and void.

- Dancing warriors

- Dancing warrior of the elements

-enlighten dancing warrior

-dancer of the light

Thank you that would great help!

Gary
The Boss

Re: Hi

Post by Gary » May 13, 2013 1:06 pm

It should be noted that it's the Japanese version of the Five Elements that has the void/ether character in it. This is better explained here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/five-elements.php

As far as the others, that's a lot of titles to work on. That might tie up the professional translator for an hour or two (which means I'll get a bill from her for $20 to $40).

Maybe you can pick one, and we can get to work on it, along with building you a set of tattoo stencils/templates here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php

I don't mind working on two titles, and you pick the one you like for the templates with that service, but 4-5 different titles gets labor intensive (I don't really make any money on tattoo template stuff anyway - just the translators make their due).

-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » May 15, 2013 5:48 am

Hi,

Thank you sooo much!

I have chose the two

- Dancing warrior of the elements

- Dancing warrior of the light

Thank you!

Mikaël,

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 15, 2013 11:25 am

I talked briefly about this to a native Japanese translator, and Chinese. It seems dancing warrior is strongly-associated with a certain yoga pose/technique. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for. It makes more sense in Chinese than Japanese (I guess warriors never dance in Japan). There is a kind of Chinese ballet, and opera with dancing warriors, so it may fit better in that culture.

This is going to be tricky though. Trying to make this sound cool (and not silly) is the biggest challenge.

An then there's the elements issue. In context Chinese and Japanese will use 五行 as a title for the five elements. The first character means 5 with no ambiguity.

The second character alone is usually read as traveling, walking, running, or moving. Combined with other characters, it can mean behavior or conduct. The elements part is lost without 5 in front of it.

Somehow we need to make "Dancing Warrior of the Five Elements" not sound too wordy or weird. I'm thinking the five elements part will need to go in the front of the title. I'll get to work on that with the translator once you place your order.

Please feel free to abandon this project. I can see the future, and I know this is one of those projects that I'll lose money on, or at best, make $2 per hour that I work on it. If you do proceed, I will put my full effort into it like I do on every tattoo project. I just know this one is going to be tough.

To explain, I could just translate this directly, and the meaning would be relayed etc. However, we need to make sure this is perceived in the way you intend. We need to make it sound profound and/or poetic (not foolish, silly, or forced). You want it to sound just right...

Here's some English examples of the way you might express a single idea:

Even the most unusual of bravery became common that day.
Rare Courage became a common sight.
When only a few are brave on a normal day, most found bravery on that day.

These could all be interpretations of the famous phrase:
Uncommon valor was a common virtue.
Said by Admiral Chester Nimitz reflecting on the sacrifice of Marines who fought at Iwo Jima.

See how you need to find the best out of all possibilities?

-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » May 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi,

So reming how much it will cost for a translation. and the drawind for tattoo purpose.

I need a really good name, cause it's basically to start my own dance company with my own style, I am very influence my asian martial art culture and spirituality.

My dance style is fuse between breakdance, classical ballet, contempory and martial art (mostly kung fu and tai chi)

An I wanted to find a meaning full name, that combine if possible warrior, the 5 buddhist element, dancing or dancer and maybe something about light and or enlighten (some call it buddahood, but I would like something about light , heaven or ascension)

And I would be ready to pay for a translation by professional and so it means something powerful.

Thanks

Mikael,

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 16, 2013 2:12 pm

If your preferred title is "Dancing warrior of the elements", I need to count all of those words since this is a tough one (sometimes I let small words and articles go). So that's 5 words.

The tattoo service is priced at $20 for the first English word and $5 each additional word. So your total would be $45 including translator's time and creation of tattoo templates in 100+ styles.

I feel the most confident in going with Chinese on this project. I think it will just be a better cultural fit.

Here's a little information on deciding between Chinese or Japanese for a tattoo:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3099

-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » May 17, 2013 5:10 am

Sounds good,

So you to do think that "Dancing warrior of the elements would be the best fit for:

An I wanted to find a meaning full name, that combine if possible warrior, the 5 buddhist element, dancing or dancer and maybe something about light and or enlighten (some call it buddahood, but I would like something about light , heaven or ascension).

If yes or if you have an other idea to share please do,

If you think that would be the closest to meaning,

Let me know how can I pay you by paypal or internet.

Thanks,

aixyst

Post by aixyst » May 27, 2013 9:32 am

Let me know when you know more ;)

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Honestly, we're stumped as to how to make all that you want into one concise title. There are two titles for the elements you want, "five elements" or you can name the five elements in the five corresponding characters. But there's not a title the works well to just say "elements".

Basically, "Dancing Warrior" works. "Five Elements Warrior" works. But, "Dancing Warrior of the Five Elements" is really wordy in Chinese, and is not going to sound natural at all.

Two translators and a Buddhist Monk I talked to could not come up with anything that contained all your ideas and sounded cool/natural.

I don't know where to go from here.

-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » May 29, 2013 8:54 am

Ok, let me try one last thing,

what about Five elements (chinese buddhist earth,water,fire,wind, void) dancing warrior ?

Basically I wanted to say something about energy, elements, dancing...(but with all the strengh that comes from kung fu).

Just to make you more in context I use the shaolin warrior ''requirement and made my own for my dancers''

The ten Prerequisites for a Shaolin Buddha Dancer

Graceful as a cat; lightly and easy
Step like a dragon; powerfully and determinately
Act like a lightning stroke; swiftly and with velocity
Breathe like a wave; constantly, in eight’s shape and in harmony
Cover space like a gust of wind; “ The picture is visible, the movement is invisible” vehemently
Grounded as a tree; stability and rooted deeply
Dance as an aggressive tiger; forcefully, yang and courageously
Dance as an eagle; enlighten warrior, outstanding, nobly and majestically
Dance as a wolf; mysteriously, yin and magically

The 5 Prerequisites of the elements dancers

Dance as the void; pure abyss of energy
An infinity of possibilities, bursting of Chi.
The Buddha state.

Dance as the fire; with passion, presence, forceful, ardent, courage, in a peaceful warrior state.

Dance as the wind; precise, swiftly, velocity, freedom, love, in a peaceful warrior state.

Dance as the earth; strong steps, unlimited stamina, rooted deeply, survival state, persistent, in a peaceful warrior state.

Dance as the water; smoothly, vigorously, with pleasure, flowing, adaptable, in a peaceful warrior state.

If nothing comes up new, I'll go with Five elements (chinese buddhist earth,water,fire,wind, void) warrior.

Let me know! sorry for all the trouble!!!!

Mikael,

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 30, 2013 8:43 am

All things considered, this is probably the best title:

五行舞士

五 The number Five
行 Running / Traveling (but in this context, read as "elements" in the west)
舞 Dance / Dancing
士 Soldier / Warrior / Pawn

Using the two-character title for "five elements" is really the best way to go. This is the same title used for "five elements tai chi".

A note about the "elements" part. Basically, long ago, somebody compared the Chinese "Five Phases" or "Five Movements" to the four elements (Earth, Water, Air, and Fire) known in the western world (I believe this idea of four elements came from the ancient Greeks). The translation of "elements" was then applied to the Chinese version. However the western version was more concerned with the actual substances. The Chinese version is about phases, cycles, and interactions. The Chinese elements themselves are almost metaphorical representation for different phases through time.

You can order a custom calligraphy wall scroll or portrait with this title here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... 3310+22763

Cheers,
-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » Jun 1, 2013 3:17 pm

Thank so much, i'll order this very soon, how will it be pronounce?

Thank you,

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 3, 2013 2:01 pm

From Mandarin Chinese, this will be romanized as "Wu Xing Wu Shi" it will sound like "Woo Shing Woo Sure". In Chinese, the "x" is like an "sh" sound, but made with your tong at the bottom of your mouth. Words romanized as "shi" are actually pronounced like "shr" or like the English word "sure".

-Gary.

aixyst

Post by aixyst » Jun 3, 2013 2:10 pm

Thank you very much and for tattoo templates of this howa can i get some?

Thanks again, your helps was marvelous!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 3, 2013 2:50 pm

I will count "Dancing warrior of the elements" as three words (I don't count articles like "of" and "the"). So that's a $30 project. This is a bargain, considering I already paid the translator $20 for the work she did on this, and I'll be making way less than minimum wage for my part.

You can place that order here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php
See the free sample links on that page if you want to get an idea of how the templates work.

Cheers,
-Gary.