Kajukenbo

If you have searched my Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy Dictionary, and did not find the word or title that you were looking for, we'll be happy to add it for you. Just tell us the word or title you want, and what it means to you.
Larryamante

Kajukenbo

Post by Larryamante » Nov 21, 2012 9:25 am

Kajukenbo is an American mixed martial art founded in 1947 by Sijo Adriano Emperado in Hawaii. Kajukenbo is an acronym comprised of: "ka" ("long life"), "ju" ("happiness"), "ken" ("fist"), "bo" ("style") or "ka" ("karate"), "ju" ("judo"/"jujutsu"), "ken" ("kenpo"), "bo" (Boxing and/or Chinese Boxing Kung Fu), leading to the art's philosophical meaning: our seal contains the characters "拳法 功夫 Through this fist style, one gains long life and happiness."

I would like to present a scroll for black belt promotions and I would appreciate if you can add a Kajukenbo to your martial arts gallery with the following characters: 拳法 功夫

Regards,

Sifu Larry Amante

Gary
The Boss

Re: Kajukenbo

Post by Gary » Nov 21, 2012 10:33 am

Hmmmm...

Have you talked over some of your background information with a native Japanese translator?

One of the glaring issues I see is that 空 (the first Kanji of Karate, meaning empty or void) is pronounced "Kara" when paired with 手 (hand / te) or any of several other combinations. It can also be pronounced "sora", "kuu", "muna" (for female name "Munako"), "Isao" (given name), etc. I can't find any "kun" or "on" readings of this 空 Kanji where it's read simply as "ka". This is a pronounciation that you can't break apart.

Back to your desired title...

The official Romaji would be:
Kenpou Kunfuu or Kenpō Kunfū
Most people drop the diacritics and so, you end up with Kenpo Kunfu

拳 Ken | Fist
法 Po | Dharma / The Law
功 Kun | Gong
夫 Fu | Fu

Use this link to order your custom wall scrolls:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... 1151+22827

Cheers,
-Gary.