Knowledge in Chinese

If you have searched my Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy Dictionary, and did not find the word or title that you were looking for, we'll be happy to add it for you. Just tell us the word or title you want, and what it means to you.
Customer
Advanced Member

Knowledge in Chinese

Post by Customer » Sep 27, 2012 3:49 pm

I'd like to get a single character tattoo with the meaning "knowledge" in both Chinese and Japanese.

Your dictionary helped me identify 学 or 智 as possible candidates (although the second has other meanings besides). The First appears to be a simplified character to 學 will that make it harder to read/understand? What do you think? Thanks

K.S.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Knowledge in Chinese

Post by Gary » Sep 27, 2012 3:53 pm

You basically found "learning" and "wisdom".

If you want something that specifically means knowledge, try this:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=knowledge
You can search for just about any word using my calligraphy search engine at:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php

As far as Simplified Chinese versus Traditional Chinese: With few exceptions, I recommend Traditional Chinese.

To clarify, 學 is the Traditional Chinese version of learning. The Simplified Chinese and modern Japanese version looks like 学.

-Gary.

ozymandias1989

Post by ozymandias1989 » Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for your quick reply,
I checked the search and came up with a two character phrase, so there isn't a single character to represent knowledge in Chinese and Japanese, or is there?
Thanks

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 28, 2012 3:38 pm

In general, single characters will have very general, or open definitions. They can be extremely ambiguous in many cases.

A multi-character word will tend to have a more defined meaning.

The single-character words you talked about can mean knowledge, but would more often be understood as wisdom or learning/study.

There are other single characters that can mean knowledge but are more often read as intelligence or "to know; to be aware".

Basically, the two-character word will be like a laser beam. But the single character will be like a shotgun.

-G.