Phrase I cant find

If you have searched my Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy Dictionary, and did not find the word or title that you were looking for, we'll be happy to add it for you. Just tell us the word or title you want, and what it means to you.
swatrauma

Phrase I cant find

Post by swatrauma » Feb 7, 2012 2:10 pm

I am studying a martial arts form called Chi Lung. I am told this phrase is translated from Chinese and translates to "Spirit of the Dragon". I am trying to confirm a few things:

First - does "Chi Lung" translate to "Spirit of the Dragon"
Second - is the Chinese kanji for Chi Lung the same as the kanji for Spirit of the Dragon?

Where can i find visual examples of them in Chinese Kanji form?

thank you for your time.

Mike

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 7, 2012 3:49 pm

Let's work on the dragon part first, as it's much easier...

The dragon you want is:
Dragon

This is romanized as "long" from Mandarin Chinese, but in the past, some romanized it as "lung". The pronunciation is not exactly like the way the word "long" is pronounced in English. You must use a vowel-sound like "oh" for it to be roughly-correct in Mandarin Chinese.

Kanji is a word that refers to Japanese characters which were actually borrowed from Chinese about 1500 years ago. In Japanese Kanji, you'll sometimes see dragon written this way:
Dragon / Emperor Symbol

The first version of dragon that I presented is safest. But both of these characters do hold the meaning of dragon and are pronounced the same.

You used the word "Chi". This makes me think it's the same "chi" as used in "tai chi", "Chi Gung", and in Japanese, the "ki" from words like "Aikido", and Korean "ki" or "gi" from words like "Hapkido".

This should be:
Life Energy / Spiritual Energy

But in Japanese, it was simplified or modernized a bit to:

I could not find any information about the Chi Lung school or style of martial arts, so everything here is an educated guess. But it all fits.

You can order a Chi Lung custom calligraphy wall scroll here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... 7683+40845

-Gary.

swatrauma

Post by swatrauma » Feb 7, 2012 5:27 pm

Thank you very much! I am definitely making progress on my search!

Chi is exactly what you thought - inner strength/power - similar to its use in Tai Chi

Dragon is the second half and you seemed to have that one nailed as well.

So if it were to be written out properly to say "Spirit of the Dragon" would it only be those 2 symbols in succession? In a different order? or would there be more to it to form the full phrase?

You will not be able to find the martial arts known as Chi Lung as it is a very small school of training that has been around less than 40 years and as far as I know is only taught by the man who created it at his classes here in Michigan. It is a combination of several martial arts disciplines and not tied to one particular form.

Thank you once again for all your help!

Mike

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 7, 2012 9:52 pm

If the whole title is just "Chi Lung" (Qi Long), then it's just those two characters with no connecting character.

-Gary.

nsheeley

Re: Phrase I cant find

Post by nsheeley » Apr 26, 2012 9:55 am

i am looking for a scroll that says Live Your Life. I looked thru yours and your have similiar ones but i want these three words only.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

I think I've had a request for this in the past. If I remember correctly, it sounds really awkward and redundant in Chinese. It comes out like, "Live your living". I can't relay exactly the Chinese problem, but that English version serves as an analogy to how it sounds in Chinese.

You may do better with something like "Carpe Diem", "Seize the Day", "Live for the Moment", "Live Without Regret", etc.

Check out all the "Live"-related phrases I have here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/live.php

-Gary.

tiger921

Post by tiger921 » May 1, 2012 4:53 am

can you help me to know what phrases in kanji the word Dindo Cua? bcoz i can't find in search bar please someone help to solve this, it's a big pleasure to me if someone out here will help me thank you.. Dindo Cua

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 1, 2012 2:17 pm

What language is this word or phrase of yours?

I really only speak or read English, Japanese, and Chinese. Maybe you can first translate your word/phrase into English for me?

-Gary.