Mounting Fabric Samples

The art you like is sold out? Ask here if we have more or can get more.
mirandamaher

Mounting Fabric Samples

Post by mirandamaher » May 6, 2014 2:06 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to ask you to mount a series of prints/drawings (all the same mounting)... I was wondering if I could purchase scraps/swatches of the silk colors you use? I know that shipping is slow, but I am slow art-maker, so it should be fine.

It's just that I'm particular about color, texture, etc. and monitors are so unreliable. Please let me know if possible and cost. Thanks very much,

Miranda

Gary
The Boss

Re: Mounting Fabric Samples

Post by Gary » May 8, 2014 10:28 am

I do offer that, though I don't advertise it very much. It's actually a lot of work to put together these samples by hand, glued to special descriptive palette sheets. I charge $5 which includes postage etc.

You can order that here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/paper-and-silk-samples.php

If you just want to see a couple samples (up to 5 papers and silks), give me your selections, name, and address, and I'll mail those for free.

Cheers,
-Gary.

mirandamaher

Post by mirandamaher » May 8, 2014 10:46 am

Thank you! You do not need to paste them to a sheet of paper. I'll be able to see which is which easily I think. I don't mind paying a fee. Since I hope to use your services ongoing, I would love to receive:

Ivory
Plain Mocha
Plain Ivory
Medium Green
Crimson
Black
Copper
Frost Green

Also, what is the silk used on the scroll showing an example of your "Plain Tan" paper:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/silk-and-paper.php#silks
(lower part of page)

If it is not "plain mocha" I'd love a swatch of that one as well. Let me know if you'd like a payment for the above. I don't remember if my shipping address was in my sign-up information, if not, I can email it.

Thank you!
Miranda

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 8, 2014 11:00 am

That silk at the bottom of the page takes a little explaining...

That's what a batch of gold silk looked like 8 years ago when I took that picture. The batches before and after that are a bit more yellow. It's almost a gold in the foreground and khaki in the background now. You'll see when you get the samples.

The closest color I have now is my copper. I love the copper silk - I especially like to match it with ivory silk like this:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddetail.php?prod=cs-golden-rule-xap

It's a great and rich color, and I prefer it over the old gold color that I've offered for 12 years. That gold is kind of a legacy color for me. I wish the copper silk had existed back then, as I would have called it "rich gold" or "deep gold". It's like the color of a penny with a little patina. Not a new penny and not an old dull one, but in between somewhere.

One embarrassing reason I can't stop offering the old gold silk: I have over 1000 meters of it at the workshop in Beijing!

-Gary.

mirandamaher

Post by mirandamaher » May 8, 2014 11:34 am

Oh! Well, 8 years is a long time. Yes, then please include the current 'gold' as well.

Looking forward to receiving them!

Miranda

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Shoot your mailing address to me at Help@OrientalOutpost.com

mirandamaher

Post by mirandamaher » May 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Received the samples (quick!). Thanks very much. They are lovely and very helpful. I have a couple of interim questions.

I will be sending you prints that are inkjet printed, with some Sumi ink drawing on them. They will be printed/painted on Japanese paper with a sealant sprayed on (for the printing). Do I need to send you an extra inkjet print so you can test your mounting glue, etc on the inkjet print, or have you done this before?

Will be sending 4 images to be mounted as a set. I assume making them exacting the same is not a problem (If not, what will margin of difference be).

I would like the scrolls to mimick a particular style of Japanese scroll. I will attach an example of the format for your reference. How specific can I get w/the measurements/proportations? Not the outside width so much, but the height of the middle part (of 'two-tone' format) and the upper/lower lengths? The custom webpage assumes a vertical painting, also I think I read somewhere on the site that the dimensions may be different because of the mounting process...

Are the accent lines on the custom mounted scrolls inked lines? How are they done? Always black or other colors?

I think that's it. Thanks for your help!
Blue enso 1.JPG
One example of the scroll format
Blue enso 1.JPG (28.24 KiB) Viewed 11802 times
Attachments
Poem horizontal format.jpg
Another example
Poem horizontal format.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 11802 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 24, 2014 12:00 pm

I've done plenty of mounting with UV inkjet ink, so I think one copy is enough.

If the artwork is all the same size, we can make all the scrolls the same size.

The tone-toned silk will be about the same proportions. My silk margins (borders) on the side are about 45mm (almost 2 inches). This is much wider than you first attached image, but similar to the second.

If you want, you can add the fancy gold panels, but keep in mind, that will be glued on the paper of your artwork, so it takes away some paper margin at the top and bottom of your artwork. I recommend against it.
If you select it, this will not appear on the mockup as you customize your mounting - this is because my system was coded for custom calligraphy, and I haven't re-written that code to show up on custom mounted artwork.

I don't do the "anti-bird flaps" as seen in your second image. It will have some ribbon tails you can hang down from the point you hang the scroll on the wall. If you want to fill the space, add some accent lines (I suggest two lines on the top, and maybe 3 on the bottom panel). Some like to do the accent lines just on the top panel which is fine too.

-G.

mirandamaher

Post by mirandamaher » Jun 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your patient assistance. I have one more --dare I say it: FINAL question. My prints will include an area of gold leaf over acrylic paint. Not large, a donut shape between 2 and 4" dia. The acrylic will be thick enough to seal the paper, so it may be heavier than other paint usually scroll mounted.

I am wondering about how these 2 materials will fare in your heat-mounting process. If you have doubts, I can have you make me blank scrolls and then mounting the prints myself. Have you mounted these materials?

Thanks again,
Miranda

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am

The heat is about the same as the lowest steam setting on your household iron. Maybe you can do a test before you commit.

I had another artist with this same problem. He had huge bumpy "pearls" of acrylic paint. He would just touch up the ones that got a little scorched - not really scorched, just a subtle change in the texture. But these stuck way out and got all of the heat.

-Gary.