Custom chop gift

The art you like is sold out? Ask here if we have more or can get more.
garry

Custom chop gift

Post by garry » Oct 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I'd like to get custom chops for my senseis.
A few questions,
1 - What options do I have for materials?
2 - Do they all have carved tops, like the product page?
3 - Can I pick the carving?
4 - Is it common to get just the first name, or first/last for western names?

thanx

Gary
The Boss

Re: Custom chop gift

Post by Gary » Oct 15, 2013 8:36 am

1. The material is a certain kind of stone. A lot of people call it "soap stone" in the west, but the Chinese stone that I'm talking about is quite a bit harder. Some say it's a kind of marbled jade, but I don't believe that is entirely accurate.

2. You can choose whether or not to have the carved figure at the top of the chop stone.

3. When you say "pick the carving", you can look at the images on the chop page, and pick out the style you like the most. Pick by the numbers on that page. http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chops/

4. I recommend just first or last names (not both) for western names. Most Chinese full names are 2-4 characters. Long western names take many more characters to transliterate/approximate in Chinese. It gets really full if your full name takes 10 characters. Because we're using characters by sound rather than meaning, multiple western names run together look like an accident (or a train wreck of characters).

My name chop has just my surname translated from Swedish to Chinese by meaning. So Westergren = Western Forest = Xi Lin = 西林。

I have another for my given name, Gary, but it sounds like "Jia-Li" or "Jah-Lee". It's a hard name to transliterate into Chinese. I don't use that chop as much.

It all depends on your name, your situation, and your feeling. This is also why the chop carving I offer is not automated. A chop is very personal.

-G.

garry

Post by garry » Oct 15, 2013 10:58 am

Great! I would like a different carving on top for each.
They are brothers, their first names are Dominic and Fortunato.
Should I just cut/paste the transliteration you have for these names
on scrolls?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 17, 2013 9:26 pm

OK, so you've got 4 character for Dominic 多米尼克.
Though, Fortunato is a bit long for a chop at 5 characters 福爾圖納托 - but we can work through that, but I suggest a 25mm or 30mm chop so there's enough room.

The carving at the top is often a dragon. If you get a pair, they will often be a dragon and phoenix. Since both are male, I suggest sticking with dragons. I can also offer the chops with no carved figure on top.

You can place your order here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chops/

-G.

garry

Post by garry » Oct 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Ordered :)
I am curious if your artist signs or dates the side of the chops?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am

Yes, there will be a short inscription and the carver/artist's signature on the side. Usually this goes on the side where your thumb touches (if right handed) when stamping something with the chop.

-G.