Scroll as wedding anniversary gift for my (Chinese) parents

The art you like is sold out? Ask here if we have more or can get more.
jeanyves

Scroll as wedding anniversary gift for my (Chinese) parents

Post by jeanyves » Aug 12, 2013 4:22 am

Hi there,
I would like to place an order for a wall scroll with "Double Happiness" in the middle, and my parents' names below that. As my parents are Chinese (but I cannot write or read myself unfortunately), I want to make sure their names are written correctly in Chinese.
I manages to scan their names in Chinese, and attached you can find their names (on page 1), as well as a rough layout how I would like to scroll to look like (Double Happiness, and their names below).
Does this make sense, and how would I have to place an order?

Thanks and regards,
Jean Yves
Attachments
Chinese names parents.doc
(174 KiB) Downloaded 557 times

Gary
The Boss

Re: Scroll as wedding anniversary gift for my (Chinese) pare

Post by Gary » Aug 15, 2013 9:50 pm

That was a strange combination of Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese.
This is what the Traditional looks like:
何
鳳
英

陳
樹
勛

You have 何凤英 and 陈树勛.
In fact, you can just paste "何凤英 and 陈树勛" into the inscription tab when you customize your wall scroll:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Double+Happiness&cimg=22221

Let me know if you want to change everything to Traditional. Seems the person who wrote this might have been in grade school during the 1960s when the transition to Simplified was taking place in Mainland China.

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 15, 2013 9:53 pm

One issue to think about is that Double Happiness is generally a symbol used for a newly-married couple (that's why you see it at weddings). There's no rule against it, but this is not usually a symbol for a gift given at an anniversary.

Other ideas for the main character would include "love" or "partnership".

-Gary.

jeanyves

Post by jeanyves » Aug 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the clear reply. I think I still prefer to keep this "weird" combination between traditional and simplified Chinese; it's how my parents wrote it and yes: they obviously went to school in China in '50s and '60s :)

Your comment about the "Double Happiness" makes me think. I quite like the "Soul Mates" one (the old version) I found on your website as well.
I think I will place the order later this weekend for that and ask for your further advice.

Best regards,
Jean Yves

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 16, 2013 11:50 am

Yes, "soul mates" is another good one. It's a lot more characters, so the inscription may balance better down the side next to the main characters.

Another cool idea is to write something like, "何凤英 and 陈树勛 married October 1st, 1975". Obviously, all in Chinese, and with the actual date of their wedding. This could all fit down the side in smaller characters. If you really want, I can also have it done below the main characters still. Or, we can let the calligrapher decide what will look best.

I think adding the date really takes the personalization to a higher level. If they can read it, there's going to be a big "wow factor" when they first see the gift.

Another issues: I know it's more expensive, but it's not about the money. Please use master calligrapher Xing An-Ping for this calligraphy. Even with the inscription charge, you can still be under $100 total (and free shipping) if you choose him. Native Chinese can tell the difference between my economy calligrapher and Master Xing An-Ping. Still a good price, as I've seen his work sold for over $300 in China.

-Gary.

jeanyves

Post by jeanyves » Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Gary,

I have just placed my order. Hope you can see it as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything unclear in my order. Looking forward to see the scroll next month!

Best regards,
Jean Yves