Custom Portrait Request

The art you like is sold out? Ask here if we have more or can get more.
jpa100

Custom Portrait Request

Post by jpa100 » Jun 16, 2013 7:59 am

I would like to order a small vertical portrait (60cmx36cm) with the attached text on it.
Is this possible and , if so, how do I go about placing the order and sending you the image?
Also, what would be the approximate wait time to receive this?

Thanks
Attachments
Kanji Tattoo.jpg
Kanji Tattoo.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 9550 times

Gary
The Boss

Re: Custom Portrait Request

Post by Gary » Jun 16, 2013 10:22 am

You can find that here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=Once+in+a+Lifetime
Just click on the "Select and Customize" button to get started.

The medium size will get you a paper panel about 33cm wide. Adding the silk border, and your width will be about 43cm over all. Length is hard to calculate, as the characters need to flow in a natural way. However, I'm sure it will be taller than 60cm. The paper panel is likely to be more like 90cm tall. If you look at the aspect of your image, you will get the idea with a little math and geometry that it's about a 3:1 ratio. So multiply your desired width by 3 to get an approximate height. I also offer larger paper widths of 50cm (Large) and 68cm (Jumbo). Add 10cm to the width for the silk border.

I presume you want this done authentically by the Japanese master calligrapher. It does take a couple weeks longer than our Chinese calligrapher (since the artwork has to travel between 3 countries). Standard service is a bit over 6 weeks. But I also offer rush service for $10 to pay more postage for faster service. That rush option takes about 4-5 weeks (with 90% success at making that time frame).

Cheers,
-Gary.

jpa100

Post by jpa100 » Jun 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for the quick and helpful reply.
Would I be able to get this inscription on a small vertical portrait?
The are of wall space where I intend to hang this is only 18.5" wide.
The dimensions of the small portrait are listed on your site at 14.2"x 23.3".
Framed this would be approx 18" wide and would fit perfectly.
The height is not as big of an issue for me.

Thanks again,

Joe

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 19, 2013 3:59 pm

I usually use the word "inscription" to refer to added small characters above the artists signature (though technically, the main characters are "inscribed" by hand, so not wrong). Anyway, I can have the calligrapher do the main characters in nearly any size. Just order a size (by width) that is at least as big as the size you want. If you want the paper panel to be 29cm, order the medium (33cm) size, and put a note in the special instructions and I will have the calligrapher downsize the artwork.

Here are the paper widths as they relate to the sizes:
Extra small 20cm
Small 26.5cm
Medium 33cm
Large 50cm
Jumbo 68cm

Add 10cm (5cm on each side) for the silk border that is added when the portrait is mounted.

-Gary.