Looking for the Hangul of Taekwondo

The art you like is sold out? Ask here if we have more or can get more.
plavi
Advanced Member

Looking for the Hangul of Taekwondo

Post by plavi » Dec 6, 2008 2:29 am

Greetings,

I would like to order a Taekwondo vertical banner, preferable in Hangul.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your reply

Regards

Christiaan
Netherlands

Last edited by plavi on Dec 15, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 6, 2008 11:21 am

Hm,

I have read up on the forum, searching for Taekwondo, and apparently finding a Hangul calligrapher poses to be a problem.

Has any solution already been found? Or, somewhere on the forums I read you already have a few Hangul Taekwondo scrolls, though I did not find them on your site.

Are these still available and at what price?

Regards

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 8, 2008 11:32 am

We've come up with a compromise solution for those that really want Hangul.

It's been a weird evolution. I actually found, from the few calligraphers that I was able to locate in South Korea, that they preferred to write in the ancient Korean Hanja (which are about 99% the same as Chinese characters).

I then started looking for North Korean calligraphers (Hanja has been banned in North Korea, so it's illegal for calligraphers to write in anything except Hangul). The problem there was that I dealt mostly with North Korean calligraphers who had crossed illegally into China. Once I would establish a relationship, they would inevitably disappear.

My compromise solution:

Master calligrapher Xing An-Ping of Beijing is a true master. He knows more characters by heart than anyone else. He knows the regular forms, variants, and ancient forms of about 50,000 characters. This includes Japanese morphs and variants (he does a lot of Japanese as well as Chinese calligraphy).

One day I was talking with him, and mentioned my trouble finding a Korean calligrapher. His response was, "I can write Korean Hangul, just don't expect me to speak Korean well, or know proper Korean grammar".

So, if it does not bother you that a Chinese master calligrapher will be doing your Korean Hangul calligraphy, we can help you. All of the components of Korean Hangul (except perhaps the circles) are based on Chinese strokes, so this is actually a reasonable solution, with no lack of quality.

Let me know if you want to pursue this.

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 10, 2008 3:50 am

Gary,

thank you for your reply. Somewhere on your site you mentioned you had a few ready-made Hangul Taekwondo scrolls.

Do you yet have them available and at what price?

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 13, 2008 12:06 am

Actually, they ended up being horizontal format (kind of by mistake) and I had them mounted as portraits. I believe they are taekwondo and "martial arts". I can sell them for just under $20 if you are interested. They would need framing for a proper display, so you'd get the art cheap, but the framing would cost you.

I can post some pictures next week if you want to see them.

-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 13, 2008 9:02 am

Gary,

that might actually be a fairly good choice, it could be placed above a wide mirror.

If you would indeed post a picture, I'd be much obliged.

Regards

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 15, 2008 12:07 am

The Taekwondo ones look like this:

The Martial Arts ones look like this:
Korean Martial Arts

Both of these are mounted as portraits with silk borders. The border portion is not shown above.

-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

So, if it does not bother you that a Chinese master calligrapher will be doing your Korean Hangul calligraphy, we can help you. All of the components of Korean Hangul (except perhaps the circles) are based on Chinese strokes, so this is actually a reasonable solution, with no lack of quality.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary,

this is indeed the solution I would like to pursue. So, I'd like the script as in the picture I added in my initial post, but then of course top-to-bottom instead of left-to-right.

How can I go about ordering now? should I just fill out the webform for the 'traditional' TKD scroll and you will then make sure it is written in Hangul?Or some other way?

Regards

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Just go to this page, and order the Taekwondo wall scroll with whatever custom paper and silk colors you want:
taekwondo.php
Be sure to select Chinese Master Calligrapher Xing An-Ping. During checkout, in the special instructions box (which will appear below where you enter your address) be sure to note that this is to be done in Hangul.

That's it.

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 16, 2008 5:32 am

Gary,

I have tried to create a mockup of the scroll that I'd want (just for the placement of the letters).

Is there any way in which you can check if these letters are indeed the Hangul words for

TAEKWONDO (the large font)

and the tenets

Courtesy (예의 | Ye Ui)
Integrity (염치 | Yom Chi)
Indomitable Spirit (백절불굴 | Baekyul Boogul)
Perseverance (인내 | In Nae)
Selfcontrol (극기 | Guk-Gi/Kukki)

And, of course, if the set up (reading direction) and such is right. Are these tenets best placed below the main text, read top-to-bottom, or are they best placed to the side?

Thank you for your time!

Regards
Attachments
Taekwondo Tenets.pdf
(11.21 KiB) Downloaded 1065 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 17, 2008 11:37 pm

This is starting to sound a lot like CKD. Does this seem familiar? Is this what you are really trying to find/use?

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 17, 2008 11:44 pm

To answer your other questions, I can double check these before they go to the calligrapher.

These can go on the side or below. It's probably more normal in Asian for such things to go on the side of the main characters, but it has a bit more clarity for a western audience if it's done in separate words below the main characters.

-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 18, 2008 2:14 am

This is starting to sound a lot like CKD. Does this seem familiar? Is this what you are really trying to find/use?

Cheers,
-Gary.

I noticed the similarities indeed :)

However, they apparently have a variation of the 'official' TKD tenets, replacing Courtesy and Integrity with Humility, Honesty and Gentleness.

So no, this is not what I am looking for, though indeed the similarities are striking.

Thank you so far for helping me, I will order the scroll with you today, referring to our discussion and the PDF I added above.

Sorry for nagging you so much, but it's a gift to someone who knows much more about TKD, Hangul and Korea than I know, so I want to be sure I get it all right...

Regards

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Okay, no worries...

The main thing I saw was the "indomitable spirit" being four characters, vs. the "unbreakable spirit" being two characters, which matches the rest of them a little better.

Obviously, that is not an option if we are matching a certain set of established tenets (TKD).

Go ahead and place the order for the Taekwondo wall scroll. These tenets will count as your inscription. You can just type "see post 1285" in the inscription text, and I will work out the rest. Be sure to select a location for this inscription (you'll see where to do that during the customization process).

Here's that link again:
taekwondo.php

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Gary,

I've placed the order. There is one thing that worries me, and that is the translation for Integrity. I've found different words and translations, so if you could check if the Hangul I used in the scroll is indeed the right one, I would be much obliged.

I have found a different version of the word Integrity, and I will add it in a new pdf here, please choose the one that is the right translation (in this latter pdf, of course I do not need the romanisation nor the english translation added, just the Hangul).

Regards

Christiaan
Attachments
Taekwondo Tenets2.pdf
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 967 times

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Jan 6, 2009 7:32 am

Gary,

my order has been on 'being processed' for over 2 weeks now. Any news or troubles?

Chris

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 7, 2009 12:19 pm

I used the one from your PDF. It seemed like it must be from an established list.

Both of those options can mean integrity.

The one you wrote in Hangul text in an earlier post means "sense of shame" and "sense of honor" (I guess a simultaneous feeling).

The one in the PDF means completeness, wholesomeness, integrity, and in some cases, perfection.

If you need a change, just let me know.

I did consult a Korean friend in regards to this, before sending it on to the calligrapher in Beijing. But I should have followed up with you as to the final selection. It just took me a few days to track down my friend, and by then, I was swamped with the holiday season stuff here (thus my pathetic excuse for not making a conclusion or confirmation post regarding your project). Sorry about that - if you wanted a change, it would be at our expense.

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Jan 7, 2009 2:25 pm

Gary,

thank you for the reply, I do indeed need the version where Integrity = completion, wholeness and perfection.

So if that is the version I am getting, all is well...

I hope you did enjoy your holidays 8)

Regards

Chris

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Jan 29, 2009 6:43 am

Gary,

the scroll arrived in perfect order yesterday and it is a beautiful piece of work. The Sabumnim (4th grade dan and chief instructor) was very impressed and pleased with it, so job well done!

Thanks.

Chris

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm

You are very welcome!

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Re: Looking for the Hangul of Taekwondo

Post by plavi » Aug 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Dear Gary,

Unfortunately, the former scroll demised due to water damage in the dojang.

So, I'd like to order a set of additional large scrolls. Is it alright if I send you a PDF of my design/wishes? If so, to which adress/email?

Regards

Christiaan

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

You can attach a PDF here (look for the "Upload image of file" window when you reply).

I think the selection you wanted is here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/taekwondo.php

I know I added one of titles on that page for you back then. See the last two at the bottom of that page.

Cheers,
-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Aug 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Gary,

thank you for your reply.

Could you advise me about the options I'd need to choose if I want these as large as possible. I think the shorter version 'Tae Kwon Mu Do" would fit on a Large scroll, but am not sure if the "Hwa Rang Dragon Tae Kwon Mu Do" would fit a Large or if I could better choose a Jumbo version. Or could I request an even larger version?

Also, I cannot select Hangul as tekst/stule but I presume that if I select Master Xing An-Ping he would be willing to do that again as he did last time?

Best regards

Christiaan
Attachments
Tae Kwon Mu Do.pdf
(33.19 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Hwa Rang Dragon Tae Kwon Mu Do.pdf
(35.75 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 23, 2013 4:36 pm

The largest I can do is my jumbo size. That's a paper panel about 68cm wide.

I can only do larger if you can come pick it up yourself in Beijing, or are willing to pay $120 for DHL delivery.

If I read it correctly, your "Hwa Rang Dragon Tae Kwon Mu Do" is kind of an illegal combination of horizontal and vertical. This is a big no-no for both calligraphy, and the language itself. Doing all horizontal (generally from right-to-left, opposite of English) is fine, and all vertical is the most traditional form. Mixing is like a Cardinal sin.

I would take that and put it in two vertical columns.

I can have the calligrapher write in Hangul, but if possible, can you give me the original Hanja? It helps when I go to set this up. In my calligraphy ordering system I can convert from Hanja to Hangul, but obviously, that's a one-way conversion because of the way Hangul works. I'm not fluent in Korean, so it will take me hours with a dictionary to look up the Hanja otherwise.

Also, I'm not sure the master calligrapher will be willing to write an inscription in Hangul. It has not come up before, as other inscriptions have been in Hanja. At the very least, it won't match his signature which will be in Hanja.

-Gary.

plavi
Advanced Member

Post by plavi » Aug 24, 2013 1:13 am

Hi Gary,

thank you for your reply. Are you sure your calligrapher will not write Hangul? Because the one I ordered in 2009 was in Hangul and I then also gave you the design in Hangul since master Xing An-Ping could and would do Hangul?

Best regards

Christiaan