Shipping to the Netherlands/Europe

A list of countries that we deliver to can be found here: Asian Art Delivery Countries.
purplespirit

Shipping to the Netherlands/Europe

Post by purplespirit » Dec 16, 2010 6:13 am

Could you please let me know if I have to reckon with taxes, once the artwork is delivered? I have no clue how customs work but experienced about a year ago that upon delivery of software from the US I had to pay a large amount of tax.
Thank you for your time on this matter!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 16, 2010 1:00 pm

We've sent thousands of packages to European countries in the last 8 years. Hand-painted artwork is not dutiable in most countries. We also mark things as gift and a value of $50 or less for most orders.

Only once has a customer reported being assessed duties or VAT. That was in Italy after the customer insisted that I send the package by DHL and use her codice fiscale number (I begged her not to).

In the Netherlands, Dutch Customs can slow down deliveries, but they don't end up charging any tax on our packages.

Software has a different Harmonized Code than handmade artwork. Harmonized Codes are used by customs to categorize goods and charge taxes. So your experience with different kinds of goods will vary.

Cheers,
-Gary.

purplespirit

Post by purplespirit » Dec 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Topic answered to complete satisfaction, thanks very much Gary.
Best wishes.