People sometimes ask me what my secrets are for running this business. I'm now offering a workshop/class or consultation for those that are interested. I like to handle small groups of 2-3, or simply one-on-one, so that it's more personal, and specific to the needs of the students.
Possible topics (customized to your needs, ability, and current knowledge):
1. Why you don't need to pay $2700+ per year to some sleazy company like StoresOnline.com for a "full package of services" to launch your web store. I can help you get up and running for around $200 with minor monthly fees.
[color=red:f05ed6df71]Note: My website handles 5000+ unique visitors per day. I lease a powerful dedicated server for about $240 per month - you don't need this when you get started. And, StoresOnline.com charges $2700+ to get you started, is on shared hosting, and can't handle more than 500 visitors per day.[/color:f05ed6df71]
2. How pick a good domain name. Also, what domain registrar companies (GoDaddy) to avoid and why. If you come up with a good one, I will help you register it on the spot for just over $11.
3. How to shop for a web hosting company. What you should pay. What features you need (and don't need). What are "shared hosting", "VPS", and "dedicated servers"?
4. The backbone of your website: What shopping cart to use. Should I go with ASP or PHP? Linux or Windows server? What's it mean to be "database driven" - is that for me?
5. Search Engine Optimization (SEO). From the basics to the advanced. General concepts and real things you can do to make search engines like your site.
[color=red:f05ed6df71]Note: Just Google "Asian Art Scrolls" or "Chinese Calligraphy Scrolls" or "Japanese Wall Scrolls". See where we come up - I know what I am talking about.[/color:f05ed6df71]
6. How to negotiate a contract with a merchant processor. Also, pitfalls of accepting credit cards that you can avoid.
I plan to charge $50 for a 2+ hour class at our San Diego studio. This will also include some mentoring for the months following the class. I've run this website and business for over 8 years, and ran a mail order company for 5 years prior. From that experience, I have answers to most questions that you can come up with.
I'm also literally the son of a Rocket Scientist (technically, senior engineer on various orbital, sub-orbital, and ICBM launch vehicle projects).
Been using computers since 1981 (age 10). Graduating quickly among VIC 20, TRS-80, Commodore 64, and Texas Instruments TI99/4A, before graduating to an IBM PC. Suffice to say, I know some stuff about computers (Translation: I am a nerd).
Even if you have a less-than-3-digit IQ, you can understand what I teach, and run a successful web business.
This is not about the money, this is about sparing you a harsh learning curve and helping you to get in business on the right foot (without breaking the bank).
If you are in the San Diego area, we can meet face-to-face. If not, I can still mentor you remotely, and help you get started with your business.
Contact me if you are interested.
Like the way something works on our website? Want advice about your own web business?
1 post • Page 1 of 1