Want to start a web-based business?

Like the way something works on our website? Want advice about your own web business?
Gary
The Boss

Want to start a web-based business?

Post by Gary » Nov 19, 2008 12:45 am

People sometimes ask me what my secrets are for running this business. I'm now offering a workshop/class or consultation for those that are interested. I like to handle small groups of 2-3, or simply one-on-one, so that it's more personal, and specific to the needs of the students.

Possible topics (customized to your needs, ability, and current knowledge):

1. Why you don't need to pay $2700+ per year to some sleazy company like StoresOnline.com for a "full package of services" to launch your web store. I can help you get up and running for around $200 with minor monthly fees.
[color=red:f05ed6df71]Note: My website handles 5000+ unique visitors per day. I lease a powerful dedicated server for about $240 per month - you don't need this when you get started. And, StoresOnline.com charges $2700+ to get you started, is on shared hosting, and can't handle more than 500 visitors per day.[/color:f05ed6df71]

2. How pick a good domain name. Also, what domain registrar companies (GoDaddy) to avoid and why. If you come up with a good one, I will help you register it on the spot for just over $11.

3. How to shop for a web hosting company. What you should pay. What features you need (and don't need). What are "shared hosting", "VPS", and "dedicated servers"?

4. The backbone of your website: What shopping cart to use. Should I go with ASP or PHP? Linux or Windows server? What's it mean to be "database driven" - is that for me?

5. Search Engine Optimization (SEO). From the basics to the advanced. General concepts and real things you can do to make search engines like your site.
[color=red:f05ed6df71]Note: Just Google "Asian Art Scrolls" or "Chinese Calligraphy Scrolls" or "Japanese Wall Scrolls". See where we come up - I know what I am talking about.[/color:f05ed6df71]

6. How to negotiate a contract with a merchant processor. Also, pitfalls of accepting credit cards that you can avoid.

I plan to charge $50 for a 2+ hour class at our San Diego studio. This will also include some mentoring for the months following the class. I've run this website and business for over 8 years, and ran a mail order company for 5 years prior. From that experience, I have answers to most questions that you can come up with.

I'm also literally the son of a Rocket Scientist (technically, senior engineer on various orbital, sub-orbital, and ICBM launch vehicle projects).
Been using computers since 1981 (age 10). Graduating quickly among VIC 20, TRS-80, Commodore 64, and Texas Instruments TI99/4A, before graduating to an IBM PC. Suffice to say, I know some stuff about computers (Translation: I am a nerd).

Even if you have a less-than-3-digit IQ, you can understand what I teach, and run a successful web business.

This is not about the money, this is about sparing you a harsh learning curve and helping you to get in business on the right foot (without breaking the bank).

If you are in the San Diego area, we can meet face-to-face. If not, I can still mentor you remotely, and help you get started with your business.

Contact me if you are interested.

-Gary.