Mounting Rice Paper Painting

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
smwecker

Mounting Rice Paper Painting

Post by smwecker » Nov 4, 2011 10:40 am

We purchased a painting while traveling in China which has no backing. We would like to have it framed "Western Style". How do you suggest we proceed? The painting is 137 cm by 68 cm. I've attached a photo.

Thanks
Attachments
Chinese Painting-1.jpg
(124.25 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 4, 2011 11:57 pm

If the paper is just thicker than tissue paper, this painting is completely unmounted on a single sheet of xuan paper. You'll have a hard time finding a western framer who can work with this. Try finding a framer who has a dry-mounting vacuum press - they can do it, but many framers who have not worked with Chinese artwork before will be apprehensive about risking the painting, etc.

I have a mounting workshop in Beijing. However, this looks like a big piece (about 135cm x 68cm). I can mount it with a silk border for you, but after the materials, labor, and administrative costs, I'd be at about $60 to mount it. Add shipping to and from China, and it may not be worth it to you.

After it's mounted with a silk border, you still need to get it framed. Add $200 or so for that.

I don't mean to discourage you, but rather, give you some accurate information (and costs) so you can make an informed decision about what you want to do.

Cheers,
-Gary.