Living in Beijing and Need a Large Painting Mounted Soon

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
vansic35

Post by vansic35 » Jul 26, 2011 8:29 am

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Beijing until next Monday (August 8th) and recently purchased a large painting on Xuan paper in Xi'an this past weekend. It's approximately 70"x30". Upon purchasing it, the artists were folding the paper because they said the paper couldn't be rolled. It concerned us, but after speaking with friends and reading many posts, it seems that this isn't an issue. Would you be able to take the folds out while still keeping the integrity of the painting and mount it for us? We would like to take it back to the US rolled up on silk. The other issue is that it is a horizontal painting, so I'm not sure of the options for hanging. Sorry for the short notice, but I hope I hear from you soon as we only have 12 days left in Beijing. I am near Beixinqiao, so we can take the painting to your office once we know the location. Also, what will be the approximate price (RMB or USD)? Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Liz

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Can you speak Mandarin?

If so, I can give you the phone number to our shop. You can present the artwork to Li Liang-Hong (the manager of the shop) and negotiate a price with him directly. This will be cheaper than if I have to manage your project, translate instructions, ship it, etc.

If you don't speak Mandarin and I have to make a bunch of long-distance phone calls to translate what you want and arrange this, the total cost will be around $40 (still very reasonable). It will probably be $20 if you can take care of this yourself face to face at the shop.

In the meantime, you can see what silk brocades we commonly use here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... all+Scroll

Cheers,
-Gary.

vansic35

Living in Beijing and Needing Painting Mounted

Post by vansic35 » Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi Gary,

My husband can speak, so that will work out well. Could I have the address and number? Also, will it be able to be completed by August 7th?

Thanks,
Liz

vansic35

Living in Beijing and Needing Painting Mounted

Post by vansic35 » Jul 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi Gary,

If you want to send it to my email address instead of posting it here, that's fine. I hope to hear from you soon as I am excited to have this matted and see how it looks before we leave!

Thanks,
Liz

vansic35

Post by vansic35 » Jul 27, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Gary,

We actually found the number on another forum and have been in contact and have plans to meet this week. Thanks for the information. One more question, will he be able to remove all or most of the creases in the painting? This is something we didn't ask on the phone since we will talk in person, but were just curious. Also, what's the proper way to hang a horizontal painting?

Thanks,
Liz

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday. With so many new posts, it made it appear that your question had been answered (a silly issue with this forum system).

Li Hongliang can take out all the wrinkles from the unmounted xuan paper. This is a standard part of the process. We have a huge flat press for this. A misting of water to start with makes it a steam press.

More about the process here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/asian-art-mounting.php

Be sure to pick up a proper painting tube at an art supply shop. These are the black plastic tubes with red bands at the top and bottom. They also have a shoulder strap for easy carrying. You will need to protect your artwork all the way back to your home with this. Don't try to do it without a strong tube!

Cheers,
-Gary.

vansic35

Post by vansic35 » Jul 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your message and it's ok, we just had the painting mounted on silk yesterday and it looks INCREDIBLE. We had it mounted on white silk and all of the wrinkles were gone (unlike what every framing shop in the US I emailed told me). They did a wonderful job and in under an hour for a painting of that size, we were highly impressed. I would highly recommend this service to anyone who is looking for a professional and high-quality work done for a very reasonable price.

On a side note, do you know where there is an art supply store in Beijing? Possibly 798?

Thanks,
Liz

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Try going to the far north end of Wangfujing Street. On Gongmei street there's a few art supply places. If you're really into art supplies, head to Liulichang which is a market place dedicated to art supplies.

-Gary.