In the name of Quality. We make our own wooden knobs...

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
Gary
The Boss

In the name of Quality. We make our own wooden knobs...

Post by Gary » Jun 27, 2011 11:53 am

Turning Knobs on a Lathe for our Asian Wall Scrolls
Our workshop does work for artists preparing for exhibitions and museum installations. When it comes to our wall scrolls that we build for our gallery (or rather for our customers), the quality is just a tiny step down from what we do for museums. The main difference being the wooden knobs and roller. We use furniture-polished hardwood for the museum-quality wall scrolls. They cost about $20 per set. They also weigh about a half-pound (250 grams) more per wall scroll, which adds up on postage and transportation costs.

I did not like the cheaper knobs on the mass market, so I designed my own (literally turning them from solid wood on my own lathe). I had a furniture knob making company turn 30,000 of them over the past nine years in three contracts. The knobs I designed cost us less than $5 per set with a lighter-weight roller. The savings on the cost of the knobs, cheaper cost of shipping because of the lighter weight allows me to offer the best price to my customers without a large compromise in quality. This saves you about $20 on the price of every wall scroll we sell.

-Gary.

PS: Check out how we make our wall scrolls:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/asian-art-mounting.php

Measuring Wall Scroll Knob Ensuring a Perfect FitWall Scroll Wooden Knob Prototypes

Gary
The Boss

Re: In the name of Quality. We make our own wooden knobs...

Post by Gary » Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

After trying a few different wooden furniture knob companies, we found that LinDa (http://www.woodld.com/) offered pretty good quality for the price. The production knobs are made in batches of 10,000 knobs. It takes a few weeks of work on several lathes like this one:
Wood Lathe

The finished knobs are then transported from Ningbo in Zhejiang Province to our workshop in Beijing.

It takes a bit of effort, but the resulting quality is worth it.