Blank Wall Scrolls et al.

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
Customer
Advanced Member

Blank Wall Scrolls et al.

Post by Customer » Apr 25, 2011 11:11 am

Dear Gary,

Please let me know if the ordering of blank scrolls still works the same way as it did a year and a half ago, and remind me how it’s done.

Please let me know if you can now make scrolls in the “Japanese” style.

Please let me know if you can do “hand scrolls” (or “desk scrolls”), and if so what that would involve.

As for sending finished work for mounting: I really don’t feel safe trying to send things directly to China myself. I know it’s an inconvenience for you to handle that work as you did in the past, but would you consider doing it for this old dodderer, given an additional fee or surcharge for the service? I’d be most grateful.

Hope all is going well for you and for Oriental Outpost.

Many thanks,
Michael

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 25, 2011 11:41 am

You can now order custom blank wall scrolls at any time here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... all+Scroll

I'm also carrying a few blank wall scrolls in stock. I'm thinking about expanding the selection of colors, but they sell rather slowly, so I'm not sure if that will happen:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddeta ... ank-scroll

I'll need to see an image of what you think is "Japanese style" to determine if we can build wall scrolls the way you want them. In my experience, different people have different ideas about what a "Japanese style" wall scroll is. A lot of the time, it's just another version of what's common in China.

Years ago, when we only sold Chinese calligraphy, I'd have customers comment all the time how they loved all of our "Japanese" wall scrolls. At first I went to great pains to correct them. I've given up, and we now offer authentic Japanese calligraphy anyway. I also have a bunch of artists in Japan that send their artwork to our workshop in Beijing from time to time, and they've never said anything about the wall scroll style not being "Japanese enough".

We can offer hand scrolls. Although, when blank, there's not really any difference between a wall scroll and a hand scroll. Once you paint something on it and orient it horizontally, it becomes a hand scroll:

If you want it like this image, we can delete the wooden knobs and make silk "blanks" at the ends of the roller for no additional cost. However, setting up to delete the side silk brocade borders is an extra charge of $10 per wall scroll (however, if you buy 10 or more at one time, there will be no extra charge per scroll).

There's a few reasons I now ask customers to mail their artwork directly to Beijing:

1. I was losing money when I'd only charge $5 to forward artwork. It was supposed to work out that I'd combine 5-6 customers' artwork, and mail it to Beijing for about $25 in postage. But sometimes a few weeks would go by and I'd only have 1-2 customers' artwork. I'd finally send it at a loss.

2. There was a case where I sent one customer's artwork to Beijing and for some reason it was misrouted. Months later, it was found in a box with the address label torn off at the international post office in Beijing. The China Post staff knows us, and when they opened the box and found artwork inside, they asked us if it was ours. This would be an amazing story, except for the fact that by then, the customer had accused me of all sorts of terrible things such as stealing his artwork etc. It was very uncomfortable. For a while, I made announcements that I was going to stop offering mounting services because of that one episode.

If I have customers send their own artwork directly to Beijing, I avoid some of the liability for loss or misrouting, and I don't lose money.

If you want me to send it, I can, but the forwarding charge will be about $25 for Priority Mail and $30+ for EMS from our studio in San Diego to our workshop in Beijing. No labor or handling charge will be applied, just the actual cost of postage.

For ordering custom mounting of your artwork, I ask that you first send (preferably by attaching them as images on this forum) digital images of each piece you want mounted. I will then reformat the images to work with our customization system and send you links to place your custom order for each piece.

This topic will give you more info about how that works:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/vi ... 3914#11665

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

I've got in-stock blank wall scrolls for $29.88 here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/search.php?q=blank

If you're not in a rush, you can order custom blank wall scrolls with price ranges from under $30 to over $60 depending on size, and special options.
You can order those here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... all+Scroll

The prices are already heavily discounted. We make these scrolls by hand ourselves at our own workshop, and I don't make any money on them, so it's the absolute best deal for this quality (you can find cheaper blank wall scrolls, but the quality will be far lower).

-Gary.