7 pieces to mount

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
yuko.colleen

7 pieces to mount

Post by yuko.colleen » May 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello,

I am looking to have the 7 images below mounted. I know they are probably not considered high quality, but they were made by a Chinese artist who lived with my family when I was a child. I literally remember him making some of these on our SPAM table while I watched. I'm now "all grown up" and want to use these to decorate my home.

I was thinking of only having the "tall birds" made into a scroll, but the rest I wanted to mount and then frame. Maybe the "single calligraphy" would work as a scroll, I would appreciate your advice on that. I figure once they are mounted I can get anyone to frame them here in the US. The paper is quite thin, probably considered "practice paper", on all of the paintings, but is higher quality for the calligraphy.

Please provide me with a quote, both total cost and estimated time.

Also, if it is possible, I would love to have the writing on the sides of the paintings and the calligraphy characters translated so that I know what they say. If this is too much to ask, I understand. Once they are mounted, I may be able to take them to a local university to get those questions answered.

If the photos are not good enough quality, just let me know and I'll try to take them again.

Lastly - here is some additional info on the pieces, in case you want all the sizes/info all in one place.
(all measurements are width x height and in inches)
Tall birds - 13.5"x42" (considering a scroll for this one)
Birds - 18.5"x27"
Fish - 24"x13.75" (fish are off center, so you could cut down the paper to be 22")
Grapes - 18.5"x27"
Chicks - 18.5"x27"
Single calligraphy - 17"x25.5" (calligraphy are on higher quality paper)
Xinle's calligraphy - 17"x26" (calligraphy are on higher quality paper)

Thank you for you consideration.
Attachments
xinle's calligraphy.jpg
Xinle's calligraphy - 17"x26" (calligraphy are on higher quality paper)
xinle's calligraphy.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
single calligraphy.jpg
Single calligraphy - 17"x25.5" (calligraphy are on higher quality paper)
single calligraphy.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
tall birds.jpg
Tall birds - 13.5"x42" (considering a scroll for this one)
tall birds.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
grapes.jpg
Grapes - 18.5"x27"
grapes.jpg (76.62 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
gold fish.jpg
Fish - 22"x13.75" (fish are off center, so you could cut down the paper to be 22" wide)
gold fish.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
chicks.jpg
Chicks - 18.5"x27"
chicks.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 29839 times
birds.jpg
Birds - 18.5"x27"
birds.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 29839 times

Gary
The Boss

Re: 7 pieces to mount

Post by Gary » May 21, 2013 9:00 am

Most of these would be $49.88 for wall scroll mounting or $34.88 for portrait mounting (adding silk border and paper thickening only - making it ready-to-frame).

The ones in the 13" (33cm) width range, I can probably fudge those down to my "medium size" price of $32.88 for wall scrolls. It happens that 33cm is the paper width limit for the medium size, but we can probably trim it a bit.
In case you want to know the secret background info:
The price is effected a lot by the postage costs to get the artwork back from Beijing to the USA. There is a certain size of box (the largest available from China Post) that exactly fits medium-sized wall scrolls (about 35 of them). If I ship by the slowest air mail, I can get those scrolls to the USA for about $5-6 each.

Larger scrolls and portraits require special boxes (that I have made custom in the USA and ship to China at great expense) then pay oversized postage surcharges to ship to the USA. It can cost upwards of $20 to get a large wall scroll to the USA.
Just because it's too hard to differentiate between kinds of orders, your shipping will be "free" (of course, that cost is buried in the price). I have a free shipping on orders over $88 promotion right now, so that will apply to you.

Let me know if you want to proceed, and if so, I'll get these images prepared so you can customize your mounting options and place your order.

If you're in the Los Angeles / San Gabriel area, I can probably give you some addresses and phone numbers of mounting shops in the USA. However, their prices start at $200 per wall scroll.

-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » May 21, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think we should go ahead... I can't imagine I'll find a way to do it more cheaply here. I live in St. Louis, so no big Chinatown anywhere nearby.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be looking at the following as far as costs:
Tall birds (13.5"x42") - scroll $32.88 (you'll trim a little of the sides)
Birds (18.5"x27") - portrait $34.88
Fish (24"x13.75") - portrait $34.88
Grapes (18.5"x27") - portrait $34.88
Chicks (18.5"x27") - portrait $34.88
Single calligraphy (17"x25.5") - portrait $34.88
Xinle's calligraphy (17"x26") - portrait $34.88

If you offer any other sort of discount for bundling them together that would be great - but I understand you're already making a small profit margin. I'm a grad student, so I have to ask.

Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 21, 2013 4:27 pm

That's right. I just wish your fish could be trimmed down, but there just isn't a lot of margin there.

Last time I did the math (accounting) on this, I just break-even on these mounting projects. I'm sure that's why the local guys in the USA charge $200 per wall scroll, and I only charge $32.88 for the same thing with the same or better quality. This artwork mounting service is really just a courtesy that I offer. I'd be in trouble trying to make a living at just mounting.

The ways you will save money (after the obvious $32.88 versus $200 price) is by bundling your artwork together for shipment to Beijing, you'll probably just have $4 per piece if you use Priority Mail International. If you sent one piece, that would be about $28 per piece. Actually, I think Priority Mail International went up in price, it might be a bit above $30 now. I use EMS (Express Mail) for my Japanese calligraphy to Beijing, and that's now $45 for under a pound to China (ouch!). Another option is First Class International, which is about $17+ for what your art will probably weigh when packed in a tube.

You get "free" return shipping. If you did one or two pieces, you'd pay another $9.80 for that.

Depending on how you do the math, you're saving about $20 per piece if you compare doing one piece at a time versus all seven together.

I've got to get to my second job as a bicycle race announcer here. I'll try to find an hour or so tomorrow to prep these images for customization and ordering.

Cheers,
-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » May 29, 2013 9:35 am

Hello Gary - haven't heard from you in a couple days.
Can you get back to me on what need to be done to place my order?
Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 30, 2013 9:31 am

Sorry about that. I guess I forgot to put this project on my "to-do" list.

I tried to make the new images as distortion-free and natural as possible, but the camera was at a "far from square" position when most of these were taken. It may not look like it, but that was a solid hour of PhotoShop manipulation.

Here are the links:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... alligraphy
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... tall-birds
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?image=grapes
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... =gold-fish
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?image=chicks
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?image=birds
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... alligraphy

Please note that the mock-up will not show the proper measurement for the height of the mounted piece - it's a programming glitch that I need to work on.

Customize these the way you want, and then add them to your cart. Check out normally to place the order.

Here's the shipping instructions for after you finish creating the order:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/vi ... php?t=4182

Yours,
-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » May 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks Gary - sorry about the photos not being square - just to confirm, this is mainly to get an idea of what it will look like when mounted, right? so if the images are a bit off, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like you're going to do anything to alter the artwork when you mount it.

Also, I'm not really sure about color selection. It seems like they'll all look pretty good with gold - do you see any reason do choose another color?

Lastly, you said the mock-ups won't show the proper size for the mounted pieces. Can you tell me how much I should add to estimate the proper final size (both for portrait mounting and for scroll?).

Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

My favorite "safety" color is copper. It costs a little more, so I charge $2 extra per scroll or portrait for it. But it's worth it. The copper color goes with any earth tones or white walls like you find in most homes.

The gold silk is kind of a legacy color. I've had that color and pattern for over 10 years. But if they made the copper silk back then, I might have called it, "rich gold". I have to call it copper so there's no confusion.

If you want a lighter color, I like ivory. It also goes with nearly any decor. But your artwork is on light paper, so a darker contrasting color is usually best.

Here's my favorite combination of ivory silk with a copper inner-silk-frame:
[image="http://c.ooi1.com/usa/n12619.jpg"]Bushido Wall Scroll[/image]

That costs a bit extra, but really makes calligraphy look special.

-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » Jun 2, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks Gary. I've placed the order. I took you advice for many of the pieces and went with the ivory scroll with copper inner frame, but for some we just don't have the room for a scroll. Will the scrolls come with a piece of wood and be ready to hang, or will we need by buy a wooden dowel for the bottom?

I had trouble logging in on the order form, so I placed the order without logging in. Can you please confirm that you've received the payment and that it will be linked to this order? The order confirmation doesn't show the photos of the art work, and since I have different mounts for the different pieces it makes me a bit nervous.

Last question - can I send artwork in a poster tube? (you say a box in the shipping directions, just want to make sure)

I look forward to shipping these off in the next couple of days. Will you please notify me when you receive them in your workshop?

Thank you!!

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » Jun 2, 2013 7:56 pm

One more request - and I know you may refuse because of the time involved. I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me what the two calligraphy mean... since I'm going to be displaying them in my home, I should know. If it's too much to ask, could you point me to a resource for such translation/information?

Also, as a thought - I was looking through your custom calligraphy and I noticed that you have Colleen (my name) as transliteration in Chinese and Japanese. You might consider also linking it to "girl" as Colleen in Irish means girl/lass... or better yet even the characters for "Irish Girl". Just a suggestion.

Thank you again!!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 3, 2013 1:53 pm

Rapid fire answers to those questions...

Yes, the payment went through just fine. All is well. Please note that the forum login and checkout login are separate systems - that might be the source of confusion. I want to combine them, but it's complicated. Logging in or account creation is not required to place an order on my site. About 75% of my customers don't login.

A mailing tube is totally fine, and a good idea.

The Colleen issue of bridging to the meaning of Irish girl is difficult. The link is an English or Irish (Gaelic) construct. Getting that to make sense in Chinese... Hmmmmm...

I do have Irish in Chinese and Japanese (as in Irish person):
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=irish
I can make this specifically female with the addition of a female character in front of the person character. In fact, that will work for both the Chinese and Japanese versions.
Maybe you'd want something more girlish than womanish. See the middle three entries here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/dictionary.php?q=lass
Let me know if you want me to set up "Irish Lass" as something special for you.

I'll see how long or how much effort it will take to properly translate those two calligraphy pieces.

I may or may not be able to confirm when those pieces reach Beijing. I'm slated for military duty for the last two weeks of June. A day after I return, I'm flying to Beijing. This will be the part of the year when I have trouble keeping track of little issues like that. However, if you use Priority Mail or Express Mail, you will be able to track that via the USPS.com website. Generally, we are able to get these mounting jobs done and delivered about 5 weeks from when they arrive in Beijing. About 2-3 weeks of that is just transport time from Beijing back to you.

Cheers,
-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » Jun 3, 2013 2:36 pm

great. I'll ship them off tomorrow. What about do I need to purchase some wooden dowels to hang the scrolls, or to they come with something ready to hang.

Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 3, 2013 2:52 pm

The scrolls will be ready-to-hang. You just need a nail or hook.

The portraits require framing. So you'll be taking those to your local custom picture framer to get those made. The paper thickening that we will be doing make them frameable. The silk border we're adding makes it look traditional, and means you can avoid the cost of matting at the frame shop.

-Gary.

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am

The pieces arrived several weeks ago, but I was out of the country. I just got back yesterday, and got to look at them - they're great. We'll definitely be using you again if we have any mounting/calligraphy needs in the future.

Thank you for your work!

Colleen

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 19, 2013 10:55 am

Great! Glad you like them. We try hard.

If you want to see how they were made, check out our new video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63n-CbdMwTw

Cheers,
-Gary.

paphio2
Advanced Member

Post by paphio2 » May 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi, Yoko:

I was just browsing the site, finding that you requested the translation of the two calligraphy panels. I don't know if you have found out or someone has informed you. In any case, here it is:

1. Music, chess, calligraphy, and painting nourishes heart; plum, orchid, bamboo, chrysanthemum (four noble plants) encourages spirit.

2. Magic Dragon!

Hope this is helpful.

Phillip

yuko.colleen

Post by yuko.colleen » May 19, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks Philip!!