Re-mount for Kevin

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
dragonsleeve

Re-mount for Kevin

Post by dragonsleeve » Nov 27, 2012 5:58 pm

I really appreciate your help with this, Gary! Thanks!
Attachments
kevinyee2.jpg
(94.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kevinyee1.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Re: Re-mount for Kevin

Post by Gary » Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am

Wow Kevin, as usual, everything you have is a show-stopper (for better or worse).

I am really worried about the wrinkles (actually look like cracks). This paper looks very delicate. This could easily turn into surgery rather than a remounting. If the paper started to flake apart, it would be dozens of hours with tweezers and a steam gun, transferring this to new media.

I wish I had a reference for an Asian art conservator. That's what you really need. There might be some in San Francisco, or Los Angeles. But I think you're in Pennsylvania which is not a mecca for Asian art. Maybe a trip to Chinatown in Philadelphia (yes, I think I've been to every Chinatown in America, have hiked at least 100 miles on and around the Great Wall of China, but have never seen the Grand Canyon).

If you really want to pursue this, I can pass on your image to my master mounter, and see what he thinks. But this is probably "outside of our wheelhouse". If I remember correctly, on one of your projects, about 5-6 years ago, in desperation, we brought the old master of my master mounter out of retirement to work on it. I believe that old master is now mounting wall scrolls in Heaven, thus no longer available. It was suggested by someone at the shop that he was born in the last year of the Qing Dynasty (which makes him about 93 years old if alive now).

Cheers,
-Gary.

dragonsleeve

Post by dragonsleeve » Nov 29, 2012 4:57 am

Hey Gary,

Yes, now that you mention it, I remember you saying that you had to get the old master out of retirement to help with those other pieces. I hope he is feasting in paradise and not having to work anymore! :) He definitely earned my respect! They did an incredible job!

If you can send the pic along to them to get their feedback on it, that would be great. The backing paper it's mounted to right now is fairly rigid. The painting does have breaks in it but once the backing is wet, the painting should release. If they could get it laid down on a new scroll backing and put together as well as possible, they wouldn't have to repaint or fill anything in. I could take care of that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 3, 2013 12:09 pm

My mounter did contemplate this artwork further. He says he can re-mount it, but this is about a $417 (2500 RMB) job. I would need to add a 10% to 20% to that for administrative costs and a small commission.

It's a very intense amount of work.

-Gary.

dragonsleeve1

Re-mount for Kevin

Post by dragonsleeve1 » Dec 4, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Gary,

Happy Holidays!

I think I would to go ahead and have your guy do the remounting on this piece. But, I'm not in a hurry, so just let me know when your holiday rush is over and maybe I can get it out to him.

Thanks,
Kevin