Remount a scroll painting?

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
markmayr

Remount a scroll painting?

Post by markmayr » Nov 12, 2010 8:58 pm

My 19-yr old daughter spent the summer in Shanghai improving her Mandarin and learning about China, the people, etc. She bought several scroll paintings as gifts, but the one she bought for herself had the edge chewed up by a dog after her return to the U.S. Unbelievable!

Attached is a photo, where you can see the left edge that is chewed up, with enough undamaged border to allow a repair (in my opinion). Dimensions of the exposed paper (Chinese characters at top and painting at bottom) are approx 23cm W x 59cm H. When including the narrow fabric borders on the side and wide fabric borders on top/bottom, total dimensions are approx 29cm W x 106cm H. There is a wooden hanging strip at top and a 4cm diameter cylinder at the bottom (cropped off the photo).

Please consider remounting/repairing it. The damage is relatively minor and hopefully the remounting would not be much more complicated than mounting of new artwork.

Thanks for your help and I will appreciate your expert advice and assistance. Mark[/img]
Attachments
IMAG0019.jpg
Photo of scroll
IMAG0019.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 12279 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 13, 2010 12:30 am

Actually, remounting (versus mounting fresh/raw artwork) is about double the work.

Note: I can't tell if she bought new or old artwork. But probably new if she was just cruising by a tourist market.

If you are fairly sure this is not an old painting (artwork older than 5 years often requires special handling), it will be about $50 for remounting with on color of silk for this two-panel artwork. It's an extra $10 for two-toned silk brocade layout.

Return shipping is $9.80 from our workshop in Beijing. You'd need to send it directly to Beijing (you can cut the top frame and bottom roller off to save weight/postage).

Chances are, the total for remounting is a bit more than she originally paid for this. Although, it's hard to be sure, as everything is more expensive in Shanghai.

On a side note, I'm surprised Shanghai was the location for a Mandarin camp. That's one of a few places in China where I struggle to get anyone to want to speak Mandarin with me (they want to speak their local Shanghainese dialect or English). They even look down on Chinese people who can't speak Shanghainese. It's really the Paris or Manhattan of China. My father-in-law is actually from Shanghai, but has lived in Beijing for the past 40 years. He left Shanghai feeling he didn't really fit into that "fancy" and "dog-eat-dog" Shanghai lifestyle.

If you want to pursue this remounting, just let me know, and I will give you more info.

Cheers,
-Gary.

markmayr

Post by markmayr » Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm

I would like to pursue the remounting. Regarding your other points...

I understand that remounting is more work than mounting. I think the artwork was new, from a source like you described. I do not think there is two-tone silk brocade, but not my area of expertise. My daughter had received a US State Dept Critical Languages Scholarship, 8 weeks, all expenses paid. Students went to one of three cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing. Intensive instruction in Mandarin was in a university setting, combo of classroom, one-on-one, living with Chinese roommates, etc. Had outings in the city to practice the language, but her most fun outings were on their own, e.g. train rides and sightseeing and weekend stays at nearby cities.

I'll look for your info on how to proceed. Especially need recommendations as to how to package so as to not crease or otherwise damage the artwork.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm

I was judging this to be two-toned silk, as it looks like the top and bottom is a copper or brown color, but around the paintings is a white brocade silk.

I just need one bit of information before I set this up for a custom re-mounting order. What is the width of the painting? It looks to be about 33cm (or 13") or under. A width above 33cm for the artwork itself will increase the price slightly, but judging from the picture, I doubt it's wider than that.

-Gary.

markmayr

Post by markmayr » Nov 18, 2010 5:50 am

Painting width is approx 23 cm wide; 29 cm wide when you include silk borders. Those and other dimensions are in my first post.

It is true that two different silks having different colors are used. I originally had the wrong idea of what two-tone silk meant.

Thanks. Mark

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Sorry, I missed those measurements when I got back around to this project. I've also been working on fixing and finishing up our custom mounting ordering system so that I could serve you best. Looking at code for 16 hours per day for 3 days has melted my brain.

Here is a link where you can customize and purchase the remounting services:

http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... mg0019_134

Because I haven't built it into the system yet, you won't be paying a surcharge for the extra labor involved in remounting (savings of about $20). You're also going to get a pass on the extra cost of the two panels of your artwork. Note that we'll remove and replace the white silk between the Chinese characters and painting to match it with the silk color of your choice. I can't show that on my system without a lot of crazy coding - so use your imagination on that.

I tried to run plenty of tests on this, but if you encounter problems, please let me know so that I can fix it.

Once you have placed your order, please enclose a note with just your order number written on it and quickly ship your artwork to this address:

LI HONGLIANG
TONGZHOU DISTRICT, LIYUANZHEN
CUIPINGBEILI 18-111
BEIJING 101121
P.R. CHINA

Phone: 135-0122-3840

Please either mark it as "gift" or "documents" with "China" as the country of origin. This will avoid delays and keep the Chinese Customs Bureau from spending time trying to figure out whether duties or taxes are due.

If you have the means to print out the address in Chinese, here it is:

李鸿亮
北京市通州区梨园镇翠屏北里18号楼111室
北京 101121
中国 P.R.CHINA

Putting that on the face of the box may speed up delivery of your package to our workshop.

Cheers,
-Gary.

PS: To save money on postage, please cut the top frame and bottom roller off the wall scroll, and simply roll it up in a tube. We'll replace all of that hardware.

markmayr

Post by markmayr » Nov 20, 2010 9:21 am

Sorry for the trouble, but I located a source for the original artwork and will buy a replacement instead of paying for a repair.

The item that my daughter bought was the one "winter" scroll out of a 4-scroll "four seasons flowers and birds" set. The market where she bought it must have split up the set and sold the scrolls individually to foreign tourists. My source actually knows the artist and thought he could get the artist to paint the single scroll for us, but my daughter really liked the artwork so I will surprise her with the complete set, approx $140.

I apologize for taking up your time.

Mark