Blank Scrolls Available?

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
Joshua

Blank Scrolls Available?

Post by Joshua » Nov 9, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Gary,

Do you sell blank scrolls for painting or calligraphy? Or do you sell silk brocade like wallpaper for mounting?

Thanks.

Joshua Hough

Chinese calligrapher

http://www.art-virtue.com

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 9, 2007 10:23 pm

We can mount your work to wall scrolls in our workshop in Beijing.

Blank scrolls are kind of dangerous in my opinion, as one mistake, and all is lost.

But if you do your calligraphy on xuan paper, and then send the paper to Beijing, in about 2 months, you'd get nice wall scrolls returned to you via air mail.

Medium-sized wall scrolls, where the xuan paper is about 13" x 38" (33cm x 96.5cm), are $20 each. This includes your choice of our standard white or gold silk brocade.

Custom colors and special styles are extra of course.

Cost of the scroll increases by $2.50 for each additional inch (2.5cm) of width (we ignore length to make pricing more simple).

Shipping is steep if you are getting only one scroll, but gets better with the more you do at the same time...

1 scroll $15.80 for air mail postage and packaging from Beijing to anywhere in the world.
2 scrolls $20.60
3 scrolls $25.40
4 scrolls $30.20
5 scrolls $35.00
and basically $4.80 for each additional scroll.

I've found a couple places that mount silk wall scrolls in the USA, but they charge around $200 for one scroll. This was when I was doing research to see if I could save money by sending unmounted artwork to the states, and have it mounted there. I was thinking that I would save some of my shipping costs, but the labor cost proved to make this not feasible.

The prices would be the same for blank scrolls if you want to carry the risk of possible mistakes. I know my calligrapher in Beijing has a small trash can where his "not good enoughs" end up. Pieces of xuan paper cost a lot less than a whole wall scroll.

There is not really a quantity price break or anything (this seems to be the next question posed after I give someone this info). We sort of offer this service as a courtesy for artists that are struggling to find someone to mount their work in their home country. I pretty much only make "pocket change" on each one.

The only break is that fact that the more you buy, the more the shipping is divided, thus dropping the cost of shipping for each scroll.

We have a guy in the Netherlands and another guy in the UK that send me artwork to mount every few months, and they always seem happy with the quality of the work, so I am sure you will be too.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Blank Scrolls Available?

Post by Gary » May 21, 2013 8:17 am

Things have changed a bit since 2007. You can now by custom made blank wall scrolls by starting your project here:

http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... all+Scroll