Large mounting

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 20, 2010 10:28 am

I found a listing for the size of paper you want:
http://www.rice-paper.com/ricepapers/rp109.html
http://www.rice-paper.com/ricepapers/rp105.html
http://www.rice-paper.com/ricepaper.html

Their 38" x 71" size is pretty close to what you are looking for.

The price shocked me a bit. They have one paper which is apparently $28 per sheet. The rest are in the $12+ range.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Rice paper

Post by Creator8 » Jun 21, 2010 4:58 am

Thank you!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 21, 2010 8:25 am

Here's a place in China. They are a wholesale paper manufacturer. I think you want the double-thick xuan paper shown at the bottom for 1078 RMB plus 875 shipping fee. However, that's the domestic shipping fee, so you'd probably have to double that.

It's about 7 RMB to the U.S. Dollar right now, so if you can make the arrangements yourself in Chinese, it's about a $400 investment for 100 sheets. Add the cost of an international bank wire transfer, import duties and/or GST, the cost of a translator to help you make the arrangements, and you might end up at $6 per sheet net cost.

http://www.wangtonghe.com/jzxzl.htm

If I made it sound complicated, then I have relayed the information accurately. It's a complicated jungle that I navigate whenever I need something in China. One of my biggest challenges is maintaining the stock of the 25 different papers I offer for calligraphy from our master calligraphers.

I deal mostly with local paper suppliers in Beijing who act as agents for the paper mills/companies. They rarely stock much of a variety (if any) 6-chi papers. That fact limits my ability to be much help to you on this.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Paper and potential big order

Post by Creator8 » Jun 22, 2010 5:12 am

Hi Gary,

thank you for the reference for this paper. It seems like the English information is unaccessible on their site. Maybe, i'll have to stop practicing alltogether and make works to be framed and just focus on working spontaneously and only on your scrolls!!!!

I would like to talk to you as things are picking up as I mentioned to you two major exhibits with Master Chanh are in the works.

Please call me: 418-527-7861 or cell phone 418-809-7778 or I'll appreciate a number where I can reach you.

Michel

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry man, I'm nearly phone-free in my life at this point. Our local unregulated phone company can't put a proper line in our building (it will cost too much, so they refuse to do it). I'm sort of protesting both of the local phone companies by not having any phone in our office. I share a T1 internet connection with the suite next door, as I obviously need internet access.

I was going to try and call you when I get home in the evening, but it's always too late (since I am 2-3 hours behind you I think). I don't want to call you at 11PM your time.

I can answer anything on the forum, and include images (which speak 1000 words as the old cliche goes).

-G.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Order and others...

Post by Creator8 » Jun 30, 2010 6:11 am

Gary,

Master Chanh and myself are considering a major order of blank scrolls. We are now intiending for one big initial order of 30 scrolls (when shipped, 10 of which need to be identified differently and specifically as they are intended for Master Chanh). It is the beginning of what we believe will be a artistic and financial success as we are creating a unique and innovative concept of exhibit/varnishing «The Master and the Pupil» including a «Live Creation Experience» with multimedia technological support (with, amongst others, giant screens and Internet diffusion) to be held initially at the most «in» theater/club in Quebec City called «The Circle». The team of producers strongly feel there is a big potential to take the concept and roll it out elsewhere.

The scrolls will be hung on the ceiling of the club area and on the exhibit walls of the theater area. Master Chanh agrees with me that your high quality scrolls are what we would like to create on and build around our innovative and original concept. If we place an initial order of 30 scrolls (a mix of regular, large and jumbo sizes), would you consider shipping them to us in the time frame of your Rush service without additional charges? it would be greatly appreciated.

I will be shipping my Super Jumbo original works in the next days (I am also in the process of, as you suggested, opening an account with DHL).

Thank you,

Michel

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 6, 2010 1:53 pm

Since your order is complex, and I had to hand key some of the information into our workshop's order queue, please check the following.

The ones marked "MC" are the ones for your friend Master Chahn. I will just have them write "MC" on the bubble wrap of each of those ones.

Mostly, check the quantities and the paper lengths (as written in the notes column) to make sure I got it right. I double checked, but I am human.

This is similar to the order info they see in Beijing (only it's automatically converted to Chinese).

IDDateDescriptionMPaper Width
SilkPaper ColorNotes
12614-1look07-04Blank MCvs33cmCopperPlain White 1p2个 RUSH!100cm
12614-2look07-04Blank MCvs50cmCopperPlain White 1p2个 RUSH!100cm
12614-3look07-04Blank MCvs33cmMed. GreenPlain White 1p1个 RUSH!100cm
12614-4look07-04Blank MCvs50cmMed. GreenPlain White 1p1个 RUSH!135cm
12614-5look07-04Blank MCvs50cmMed. GreenPlain White 1p1个 RUSH!100cm
12614-6look07-04Blank MCvs33cmCrazy Blue GoldPlain White 1p2个 RUSH!100cm
12614-7look07-04Blank MCvs50cmCrazy Blue GoldPlain White 1p1个 RUSH!135cm
12614-8look07-04Blank MCvs68cmCrazy Blue GoldPlain White 1p1个 RUSH!135cm
12614-9look07-04Blankvs33cmPlain IvoryPlain White 1p4个 RUSH!100cm
12614-10look07-04Blankvs50cmPlain IvoryPlain White 1p2个 RUSH!100cm
12614-11look07-04Blankvs50cmPlain IvoryPlain White 1p2个 RUSH!135cm
12614-12look07-04Blankvs68cmPlain IvoryPlain White 1p12个 RUSH!135cm

Creator8
Advanced Member

Order confirmation

Post by Creator8 » Jul 6, 2010 3:56 pm

You have it right Gary!

Thank you,

Michel

P.S. I do not think the «Don't Panic» button is pertinent as I am miles away from panicking. I know Life and Things always work out for the best... Cheers!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 7, 2010 10:26 am

The "Don't Panic" is from my favorite book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". The funniest sci-fi book ever written.

It's good advice. Stuff happens, and panicking about it seldom serves a useful purpose.

Thanks for the big order. My guys in Beijing are going to be very busy for the next couple weeks.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Super Jumbo Mounting

Post by Creator8 » Jul 8, 2010 12:49 pm

Gary,

It's a real joy to undertake this project (maybe entitled «Fusion Jing-Chi») with your amazing scrolls and the craftmanship of you and your team!

I am still waiting for a confirmation from DHL for the official opening of my account. Once it is confirmed, I will be sending the Suoper Jumbos «Turtle Carrying the World on its Back» and «The Thread». I will be sending tham as you suggested «soft folded» in a plastic tube that you could return the scrolls in, as it stretches to different lengths.

Michel

Creator8
Advanced Member

Order received and Super Jumbo Scrolls

Post by Creator8 » Jul 29, 2010 4:44 am

Congradulations Gary to you and your wonderful team, I received the order on Tuesday and everything is as ordered and excellent. Great work!

I have received confirmation of my DHL account (#978450775), everything is OK. I will be sending the Turtle and Thread in the next days. I would like them mounted also on your amazingly beautiful Plain Ivory silk. I also would like to order 5 blank ones of the same Super Jumbo size and also with your beautiful Ancestral Ivory silk.

I was wondering if there are different levels of white paper quality as I would like the highest quality possible.

Michel

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

There are a lot of quality variables in xuan paper. However, at that large size, I doubt any mill is making a paper of low or "practice" quality.

I can try to get some paper from Red Star or Red Flag paper companies. Red Star is the most expensive paper company (double the price of most other paper companies), but for pure white (as white as xuan paper gets), they are preferred by many calligraphers. I am guessing that we're talking about a $16 sheet of huge paper compared to about $8 for paper from another company.

White paper always scares me. If you just look at it too hard, it seems like you can make a finger print or smudge on it. We'll do our best, and I'll have the guys wash their hands every 20 minutes if needed.

What can happen is you get some adhesive on your finger or otherwise have a bit of sweat on your finger, and then grab the scroll-in-progress. It doesn't show up until final pressing of the wall scroll, but that's when you suddenly see a light fingerprint in the paper panel. The larger the piece, the more risk.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Super Jumbo scrolls and other...

Post by Creator8 » Aug 4, 2010 4:29 am

Hi Gary,

I mailed by EMS yesterday my two Super Jumbo works. Here is the tracking number:EE 129 731 389 CA

My DHL account is 978450775 and please send them along with the 5 blank ones (same size on Ivory also, and if possible, with pure white high quality paper).

This weekend was quite amazing as I used one of your beautiful jumbo Ivory scroll to calligraph my wedding proposal to Louise, my girl friend of 14 years. It was rolled on the top of the wall at one of the nicest restaurant in Quebec City. At desert time and with a surprise gift, the staff pulled the ribbon and let the scroll unfold with Louise seeing it with amazement right before her eyes on the back wall. Quite a night as she accepted promptly and with great joy... to my deep happiness! I can say that this is the most beautifuyl calligraphy I have ever written and created! The whole evening was fabulous... Here is the picture.

Best regards,

Michel
Attachments
LoulouDemandeSmallSize.jpg
LoulouDemandeSmallSize.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 29126 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 6, 2010 5:52 pm

Got it. I am sending a message to Beijing to expect this.

I think your wall scroll may be in violation of Canadian law - it's not written in French AND English - ha ha ha.

I am glad she liked your creation and that we were able to help.

-G.

Cat
Professional Chinese Translator

Post by Cat » Aug 7, 2010 10:44 am

And CONGRATULATIONS! ;)

-Cat.

Creator8
Advanced Member

Post by Creator8 » Aug 10, 2010 6:11 am

Thank you very much Cat!

Have a beautiful day,

Michel

Cat
Professional Chinese Translator

Post by Cat » Aug 10, 2010 5:54 pm

You are very welcome! :)

You too have a wonderful day :)

-Cat.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Your artwork is in Beijing, and has been prepped for mounting.

You said you wanted "Ancestral Ivory silk". Do you mean the brocade pattern silk:

...or the plain ivory silk:

And we are building 5 super-jumbo (6-chi) blank wall scrolls with white paper and same ivory silk.

And some paper? I think you wanted some sheets of Red Flag white paper in the 6-chi size.

Please confirm, so we can get this all together this week.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

6-chi Jumbo Scrolls

Post by Creator8 » Aug 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Good to hear from you Gary,

Please use the same silk as the last large order: Plain Ivory. And I re-confirm my order for the 5 jumbo 6-chi blank plain ivory scrolls. How much would the 6-chi Red Star sheets of paper be? For 5 sheets, for 10 sheets, 25 sheets and for 100?

Thank you,

Michel

Creator8
Advanced Member

Post by Creator8 » Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm

... and the 5 6-chi super jumbo blank plain ivory scrolls also mounted with the highest quality pure white Red Star paper.

Michel

Creator8
Advanced Member

6-chi Super Jumbo blank plain ivory scrolls...

Post by Creator8 » Aug 31, 2010 5:30 am

Gary,

Is the amazing orange buddah paper with the silver etching available in the 6-chi size? If so, I would be interested (depending also on price) in ordering two 6-chi super jumbo plain ivory blank scrolls mounted with this beautiful paper.

Do you think we could save on shipping by doing it all together (the 7 6-chi scrolls, possibly the Red Star 6-chi pure white paper, and possibly these two 6-chi orange buddah plain ivory scrolls?

Thank you,

Michel

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

There's not a big discount at the paper dealer, so it's probably $8 per sheet no matter the quantity, and $5 per sheet if you get 100.

These prices are my best guesses. I don't deal with 6-chi paper very often, so I don't know the prices off hand. But definitely no big discount until 100 (or maybe 50) sheets.

I just want to send someone to the paper dealer once, so if possible, let me know the number of sheets you want, and we'll try to get you the best/fairest deal. We'll be using 5 of those sheets for your 5 blank wall scrolls. If you wanted to get 50, 5 would go to your blank scrolls and 45 to you.

We should ship everything together. It will save a ton of money! It might be $150 for a smaller package x 2 packages = $300, or send everything together for $200. The math will be something like that with DHL.

I've never seen any kind of patterned paper in the 6-chi size. In fact, I've rarely seen colors other than shades of white to tan. So no special Buddha colors, etchings, textures. If such paper exists, it would take many weeks and a lot of work to track it down.

When you can, give me that paper count that you want, and I will send someone to get it, and start building your wall scrolls.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

6-chi Super Jumbo blank plain ivory scrolls...and Red Star

Post by Creator8 » Aug 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Gary, I just bought 100 sheets of rice paper a few days ago. It will do for now and it appears (as I have paid little over 2.50$ a sheet last year for 100 sheets of Red Star highest quality pure white 6-chi- the Turlte and the Thread were calligraphed on that paper. Unfortunalely the seller as narrowed down his product line and cancelled all paper offerings; maybe he was charging too little!) considerably expensive and I now create my original works on your wonderful scrolls almost exclusively. I use the paper primarily for practice.

So, please for now, go ahead with the 5 sheets for the 6-chi plain ivory blank scrolls. I sincerely hope it will be the exact same high quality paper as the paper the Turtle and the Thread were created on.

As for the 6-chi Orange Buddah paper with silver etching, please keep an eye open for it, and if you or your artisans see it on your paths, please buy it. Do you have it now in smaller sizes ie. 5-chi or else?

Michel

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm

OK, sounds good.

$2.50 is a crazy low price for this size and brand of paper. Somebody must be closing it out. In the states, I think the Red Star brand 4-chi paper is $4 per sheet on average.

I'm happily not in the business of paper resale, so thankfully I don't have to worry about someone selling paper at cost or below.

-Gary.

Creator8
Advanced Member

6-chi Super Jumbo blank plain ivory scrolls...

Post by Creator8 » Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Gary,

Do you know when I can expect my 2 original mounted and the 5 blank 6-chi plain ivory scrolls?

Thank you,

Michel