watercolor painting mounted to scrolls

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
muffybear
Advanced Member

watercolor painting mounted to scrolls

Post by muffybear » Mar 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I have three watercolor paintings I want mounted onto scrolls

length 21 width 17

length 24 width 13

length 23 width 17

Please give me a quote.

Thank you

[quote][/quote]

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 12, 2010 7:47 pm

What is the basis of your measurements?

Our workshop is in China, so we work in centimeters of course.

I can't guess if the measurements you gave are centimeters, or perhaps inches if you are in the USA.

-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

Measurements are in inches

Post by muffybear » Mar 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The measurements are in inches. Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 13, 2010 11:32 am

You are looking at about $105 for basic mounting (single color of silk, gold, ivory, or white - no accents or special stuff) for all three wall scrolls. This includes standard return shipping from China (about 2 months for delivery from when the artwork arrives at our workshop in China).

Rush services and special styles are available at additional cost.

If you want to get an idea of some special options, look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/size.php

When you're ready, please post images of your artwork here on our forum, and we'll start working out the details.

Cheers,
-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

scolls

Post by muffybear » Mar 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Great. Let me finish up the last painting and then I will mail all three in to you. Should take another two weeks. I am taking classes. How do I make payment and is it all right to mail the paintings in a mailing tube. Thanks. N

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes, you can mail the paintings directly to our shop in Beijing in a mailing tube.

You must post digital images of the artwork here. The reason for this is it's the only way for us to keep track of your artwork. We can't put a mark or number on it for the purposes of tracking. So we must do it visually (with a visual record).

You don't pay anything until your artwork is finished and ready for final delivery.

-G.

muffybear
Advanced Member

mailing address

Post by muffybear » Mar 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Did you have a San Diego address or do I mail it directly to Beijing?

Will send digital images when they are ready to be mailed. And if they need a longer or wider width to make it attractive, I will gladly pay the difference. Your prices are very very reasonable. Will keep in touch. Thank you. Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 17, 2010 12:46 pm

We're switching towards having people mail it directly to China. This limits my liability to just the return trip from China.

I suggest at least using Priority Mail. Though EMS (known as Express Mail in the USA) is better, and has automatic insurance.

List the contents as "Hand-painted Chinese artwork" and either "gift" or "documents" on the customs form.

Here's the address in Chinese:
李鸿亮
北京市通州区梨园镇翠屏北里18号楼111室
北京 101121
中国 P.R.CHINA

In English:
LI HONGLIANG
TONGZHOU DIST. LIYUANZHEN
CUIPINGBEILI 18-111
101121 BEIJING, BEIJING
P.R. CHINA

You don't have to include the Chinese address, but it can help the package arrive a day earlier if you can print that out and attach it to the box.

Please post digital images before mailing the artwork. I'd like to take a look to make sure everything seems "Kosher", and then alert our workshop in Beijing to expect it.

Cheers,
-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

address to China

Post by muffybear » Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Got it. Will mail directly to China and send you the digital pictures first. I am so excited to have this option of mounting on scrolls. As soon as the last painting is done, I will take pictures and let you know when I mailed the paintings off. Thank you. Nami

muffybear
Advanced Member

ready

Post by muffybear » Apr 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Ready to be put on scroll. I will mail it to the address you gave me and send it priority. Attached is picture. I am doing one first and then do others. When I get it back I will share it with the other students who might want to put them on scrolls too. For me, I want to go this route with future paintings. The silk I would like is a sage green or close match. I will leave it up to them. They can cut it to size that will fit a scroll. Please send me a bill when it is done. Thank you. I am so excited. Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Please try again to post your images again. Use the "add attachment" function at the bottom of the posting page. But do note that if your images are ridiculously huge, the system will reject them. You don't need images longer than 500 pixels.

I've changed up the process a little. If you send me the digital images, I will manipulate them into the proper size so that you can see a mock-up of what your wall scrolls will look like. You will also be able to select many great options to personalize your wall scroll mounting. You get to add it to your cart, checkout of our website, and just write the order number on a note in the box bound for China.

All the info about what you want gets electronically sent to our workshop, and they build your wall scrolls to order.

This new system should create less headaches for me, more options for you, and faster service.

-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

attachment

Post by muffybear » Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Okay, here is the attachment.
Attachments
IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3214.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 22291 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm

I guess you are just doing one then? And I guess this one is 17 inches wide?

Here's your link to customize and start your mounting project:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... &image=121

I think your real artwork is lighter in paper color. I spent 20 minutes trying to fix it, but I can't go crazy getting it just right when it's just for a reference.

Cheers,
-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

vertical wall scroll

Post by muffybear » Apr 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Gary,

Yes, doing only one first. Had two others but decided will do only my best paintings. I don't want this in portrait but as a wall scroll. Also the base of the waterlily is covered by an inch or so that is normally covered by a mat. The distance for the flower is fine. I am so excited. Your prices are good so no complaints. I will not be doing portraits but only wall scrolls. Let me know what the adjusted price is. I am so excited. Thank you for this service. Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Not sure what you are seeing at that link I gave you. You can order a wall scroll or portrait on that web page. Just choose the mounting you want under the "mounting" tab (it's the one all the way to the left). The price is adjusted automatically depending on what you select.

-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

did it

Post by muffybear » Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Okay, I think I did it correctly this time. I have the painting in a tube with both the Chinese and the address in English. I will send it priority mail. Should I include information in the tube? The bottom of the stems should be covered by the silk. Thank you, Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I could not find an order placed for this. Did you finish checking out of our website? If so, what is your order number?

All you need to put in the tube is a note with your order number on it. Writing anything else in English will only confuse our staff at our workshop in China (I am the only one in the company who natively speaks English, but I'm in the USA).

-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

Yikes

Post by muffybear » Apr 21, 2010 5:04 pm

Okay, did it correctly. I will put the order form in the mailing tube. Also is it easier if I cut off bottom of painting so that the silk bottom border hides some of the rough edges? Nami

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

They will trim the painting as needed to get a clean and square mounting.

Please note that the rush time frame will apply from the date the artwork arrives in Beijing (not from today). Since you selected the full-rush service, I wanted to clarify that point.

Thanks for your order! We look forward to building your wall scroll and delighting you with our service.

-Gary.

muffybear
Advanced Member

mailed off

Post by muffybear » Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I mailed off the mailing tube today. I did not mail it priority since it would have cost me over $26.00. First class takes 9 days was $3.71. I realize the travel time for the painting to get there and back and I'm in no rush. Of course I am excited to see the end result. I will be busy painting and thinking of how the subject matter will look in a scroll. I will share the scroll with my class and see if others want to go this route too. Thank you, Nami