Chinese Wax Printing

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
hyu

Chinese Wax Printing

Post by hyu » Sep 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Does anyone know what is the appropriate way to display a Chinese wax printing? Should it be framed in anyway?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 21, 2009 9:11 am

I am not familiar with the term "Chinese wax printing". Are you talking about batik?

Here are some samples of batik wall hangings for reference:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/search.php?q=batik

If yours are not sewn up as wall hangings, it is perfectly acceptable to frame them. Generally, you will need to find a framer who can dry-mount the batik artwork so that it will be flat and wrinkle-free in the frame.

-Gary.

hyu

batik

Post by hyu » Sep 21, 2009 10:11 am

Yes, this is what I have. Mine is just the fabric, without the wood bar as in your examples. Is there a less costly alternative to framing for these (example for western canvas paintings you can buy stretcher bars to stretch the canvas over and hang it up like that)

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 21, 2009 10:26 am

I guess if your artwork has enough extra margin around the edge, you could stretch it.

My only concern is that the thin cotton fabric does not have the strength of canvas. You would need to be very careful when stretching.

Perhaps you could sew a loop (sleeve) into the top and bottom for some bamboo sticks to be inserted. The top one would be to hang it from two nails, and the bottom would be for weight to keep the batik somewhat flat.

-Gary.