scroll repair

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
tomlynne

scroll repair

Post by tomlynne » Sep 17, 2009 11:34 am

Do you do repairs to scrolls? I have a chinese scroll that is coming unglued at the bottom. Also might benefit from cleaning.
Thanks,
Tom

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 17, 2009 12:38 pm

We are not really in the business of being conservators. But then, there are very few conservators who specialized in Asian wall scroll artwork. I hear that the British Museum can give referrals to good ones in Great Britain. There are a few Chinese art mounting shops in the USA (especially Los Angeles), but I don't think any of them like to deal with antiques.

All I could do is remount the artwork to all-new wall scrolls. If there is any potential value of the artwork itself, some of that value could be reduced by such a remounting.

Remounting is far more costly (regarding labor) than mounting new artwork. The minimum is $50 for remounting plus shipping to and from China. If the artwork is more than 20 years old, the cost will double, as fragile artwork is again far more difficult to deal with.

-Gary.