Page 1 of 1

Mounting photograph

Posted: Feb 2, 2012 4:08 am
by lucas1005
Hello, I have a photo that is 60 x 35 cm printed on matte photo paper that I'd like to have mounted on a scroll...can you do that and how much, how long will it take? Thanks a lot!


Posted: Feb 2, 2012 10:28 pm
by Gary
I might be able to mount something on German rag paper, or a thin flexible paper. Photo paper generally has too much memory and thickness. The scroll will want to re-roll up, or curl out at the bottom of the paper panel. It will take months or forever to relax and hang flat.

I strongly recommend against this.

If you insist, it takes about 4-5 weeks from when we receive your artwork in Beijing. 2 weeks of that is just air mail transport back to you.

Rush service is available for $10 extra.

The cost of mounting is $32.88 plus $9.80 shipping. However, if this is really photo paper (or any paper other than xuan paper, hashi paper, or mulberry paper), add $10, as it's a lot harder to work with, and there will be extra handling and labor.


Photo paper

Posted: Feb 3, 2012 3:24 am
by lucas1005

You said that it would be difficult to mount photo paper onto a scroll...what thickness/weight paper would you say then is best for mounting...only rice paper?


Posted: Feb 3, 2012 10:53 am
by Gary
The short answer: The thinnest possible, and the most pliable.

So-called rice paper is actually called "xuan" or "shuan" in Chinese and does not contain any rice (at least not the kind you eat). The pulp for most xuan paper is derived from the cotton plant. Some medium-quality papers use bamboo pulp as a base.

The paper is very flexible and delicate. It has no memory (no desire to roll back up after being unrolled).

A rag paper should be suitable, and can be printed on with a piezoelectric digital printer.

Basically, anything thicker than a 20# sheet of paper is probably going to present problems.

You might try this kind of setup:

I don't make that kind of scroll, but you can just mount your flat stiff artwork into the unrolled scroll via the corner loops. You'll have to do some research to see if that company or someone else can make a custom one for you.