Repairing or remounting

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
Martha Kempner

Repairing or remounting

Post by Martha Kempner » Jan 7, 2009 10:27 am

Hello,

I have inherited three scrolls from my grandmother. The artwork mounted to the scrolls is in good shape but the scrolls themselves are falling apart. In one the bottom half has ripped completely so that the bottom bar can no longer stay in it. Should I repair the scrolls or remount the artwork and do you know of anyone in the New York City area that can do this kind of work for me.

Thank you,

Martha

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 7, 2009 11:23 am

There should be someone in New York (lots of art, lots of Chinese, in NY). See what listings are in your yellow pages under artwork, framing, and art galleries that suggest the place does Chinese themed work. Do expect the conservation and repair to cost no less than $200 per wall scroll.

We could do it for you, but our workshop is in Beijing. And, to be honest, we are so busy at our workshop that we don't have time for antique restoration (we can built 20 new wall scrolls in the time it takes to re-mount or repair one piece of antique art). It's just not our specialty.

Sorry that I can't help you better.

Yours,
-Gary.

Katie B.

Repair / Remounting

Post by Katie B. » Jul 7, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm also looking for a recommendation for remounting. You would be doing a valuable service if you developed recommendations for us in the US.

Great site! Thanks.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 8, 2009 5:01 pm

This is just some information, not a recommendation from me. I know little about the company below...

佛聖居裱畫‧裝框
Fo & Sheng's House
8924 E. Greenwood Ave., #F
San Gabriel, CA 91775
626-286-0728

I suppose, but have not confirmed that they speak English. The Chinese title indicates that they do Asian artwork mounting (I presume wall scrolls as well as framing).

Here's a link for more artwork mounting shops and galleries in California that specialize in Chinese styles:
http://www.chineseypage.com/living/artgallery.htm

Cheers,
-Gary.