Comment on Baby butts

If you have a comment, complaint, or a suggestion for how we can improve, please post here.
Rosilin

Comment on Baby butts

Post by Rosilin » Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am

I just simply wanted to Comment on the "potty training" of infants in China.
It wasn't up until the 20th century were diapers (cloth or other) widely used. Boys and girls both would wear dresses (boys until they could properly dress and undress themselves) with split drawers.

"to train up a child" by Michael and Debbie Pearl is a good book for teaching your own infant and can be found a www.nogreaterjoy.org for $5.00

A note on the art work. Gary, I think what you are doing is AMAZING! (I'm Very jealous) I wish I could purchase anyone of your artwork, for the beauty of it, but also to help support you and the artist. That and as an encouragement, unfortunately the luxury of painting (other than that of my children) is more than we can afford right now. BUT PLEASE don't stop. Thank you for ALL you, the artists and everyone involved for all the work you do.

Gary
The Boss

WalMart promoting coolness of disposable diapers in China

Post by Gary » Jun 11, 2008 12:26 pm

And things are changing in China as well. I wrote that story about 5 years ago, so maybe it's getting out-of-date. Recently, disposable diapers are gaining ground in larger cities around China.

This influx of "diaper technology" to China is courtesy of WalMart (for the most part). WalMart's have now opened in virtually every major city across China.

Unlike how many Americans see WalMart, in China, it's a fancy place to shop, and they have EVERYTHING. People actually brag in China when they shop at WalMart.

When my family's home was purchased a few years ago in Beijing, nobody knew the old building down the street would be torn down, and a four-story WalMart would be built there.

Traffic in my neighborhood snarls around like a wounded Tiger. I often just get out of the taxi several blocks away from home and walk (it's faster that way).

However, other than the traffic problems, and promotion of wasteful disposable diapers, it's kind of convenient to have a WalMart within walking distance.

Unlike American WalMarts, they have a bakery, as well as live fish and crabs for sale in the food-selling floor. The range of fruits and vegetables puts the selection at mom and pop produce shops to shame (most of them have closed in the area). So just like America, having a WalMart in your neighborhood is a double-edged sword.

On a side note: If you take the bus to shop, WalMart pays your fare! (it's actually a few special WalMart bus routes offering this service). They also offer a large bicycle parking structure. The Beijing subway has a station that connects directly to the WalMart.

-Gary.