Wrong calligraphy style

If you have a comment, complaint, or a suggestion for how we can improve, please post here.
sunmtn
Advanced Member

Wrong calligraphy style

Post by sunmtn » Dec 29, 2011 7:08 pm

On my recent order (# 14759 ) which I just received today, I got the Ancient Seal Script instead of the Square Seal Script that I ordered on both of my scrolls. I previously ordered Ancient Seal Script and I am just trying to get a variety of calligraphy styles for the words Wing Chun. Please tell me how I can get the style I ordered. Thank you.

Keith Sonnenberg
Mesa, AZ

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 29, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm sorry about that Keith. I'll make this right.

Oddly, I think this is the first order for square seal script ever in over 9 years. The calligrapher might have just not expected it, and went with the more common seal script (non-square) without looking at the specifications on the order (there's one character difference between seal script and square seal script in Chinese).

I'll get two new wall scrolls made and delivered at my expense to make up for this.

However, I don't have an image of the artwork that we sent to you. I think in the discussion with the calligrapher, the style you received will come up. You're basically going to get some extra wall scrolls at no cost to you, but could you possibly post some digital images here of at least one of the scrolls you received?

Sorry again for the mix up.

-Gary.

sunmtn
Advanced Member

Scroll photos

Post by sunmtn » Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Gary,
Here are photos of the two scrolls. Thanks a lot for your consideration.

Keith
Attachments
wing_chun_ancient_seal_script_1.jpg
wing_chun_ancient_seal_script_2.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 1, 2012 3:53 am

Yeah, that's not fang-zhuanshu (square seal script). Even using a liberal interpretation, this is maybe half way between xiao-zhuanshu and fang-zhuanshu (so-called small seal script and square seal script).

It's actually gorgeous work. But I agree, not the style you ordered.

I'll contact the calligrapher, get this sorted out, and get the correct calligraphy made for you. Just give me a few weeks for delivery of the replacements.

Sorry for the trouble,
-Gary.

sunmtn
Advanced Member

Scroll photo

Post by sunmtn » Jan 1, 2012 10:07 am

Gary,
Yes, it looked like the ancient seal script scroll that I previously received and I liked it very much. It is just that I have that style. I am attaching that one for comparison.
I am thinking about doing another t-shirt with the square seal style.

Keith

PS- Correction, the attachment is a "portrait" that I ordered.
Attachments
Ancient_Seal_WingTsun_Kung_Ku_smaller_008.jpg