Tattoo of the word "Bodhi"

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
posteridol

Tattoo of the word "Bodhi"

Post by posteridol » Jan 8, 2013 5:05 am

I have been looking to get the word "Bodhi" tattooed on my wrist for some time now, but Im super paranoid about getting it wrong!
Of course, the main one I have found is here http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.ph ... ightenment but I have seen a few other variants around including http://csymbol.com/images/male/bodhi.gif

I was hoping someone could confirm which one is correct and that it does indeed mean "Awakened" or "Enlightened"
Thank you.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Tattoo of the word "Bodhi"

Post by Gary » Jan 8, 2013 10:55 am

The image you referenced is 博笛. This was probably someone's personal transliteration of Bodhi. It's far from the standard version. That probably got posted on some website, and adopted by others as if it was a standard (happens all the time).

You can verify the correct version across three dictionaries here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/dictiona ... 9%E6%8F%90

You may want Bodhi, but you may also want to consider using a specific title for enlightenment. Even this Chinese (also used in Japanese) Bodhi is a transliteration from the original Pali or Sanskrit. However, it does carry a bit of meaning as well. If you tried to directly translate it, you'd have something like "Bodhisattva Vessel".

If you want tattoo templates for your project, I do offer that service for a small fee. You get over 100 styles to choose from for $20 if you want Bodhi, or some other single word.

-Gary.

posteridol

Post by posteridol » Jan 8, 2013 4:45 pm

Thank you Gary.
Yes, (1) (Buddhist term) bodhi, enlightenment, (2) (Buddhist term) happiness in the next world
is what Im looking to have tattooed, so would the 菩提 characters be correct?
I noticed the link to http://www.orientaloutpost.com/charimg. ... 3769+25552 which had a lot of characters. Is there any particular one amongst all of these that would be concidered to be "The most correct"? or is it just a matter of style? As for the "simplified" versions, would they be thought of as "Less correct"?

I should also ask the correct layout of the characters. Should they be left to right - right to left or would they make most sense on top of each other? I'm looking to place it on my left wrist.

Thank you again.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 9, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, 菩提 is the most correct version of Bodhi out there.

The characters would traditionally be written from top to bottom. If it must be horizontal, then the traditional way is right-to-left (opposite of English). If you don't care, and want to go "modern", then left-to-right is technically OK (though weird for such a traditional title).

The appropriate style is whatever you want. Just avoid the more modern ones. Anything from zhuanshu, lishu, kaishu, xing-kaishu, xingshu, or caoshu will be fine. The stone-carved one is also good.

All the styles you saw at that page for Bodhi are available in the tattoo template service (in much larger custom sizes).

-Gary.

vivak001

Sanskrit Tattoos and Sanskrit Translation

Post by vivak001 » Oct 18, 2013 11:10 pm

The word tattoo came from the word 'tatow' or 'tatau', a Samoan observe of skin marking. The word was adopted by English language, with the pronunciation modified so as to match English synchronic linguistics as 'tattoo'. Sailors UN agency were on expedition later introduced the word, likewise because the conception of tattooing in Europe.

People who area unit into tattooing conjointly seek advice from it as 'tats', 'pieces', 'ink' or 'work'. people that do the tattooing area unit said as 'tattooists' or 'artists'. These artists, with the advance of the tattoo trade, are given the chance to carry exhibitions of each ancient and innovative tattoo styles. they're even holding these exhibitions in thought art galleries that support them.