Translation Please

If you can't find a sub-forum that matches the subject of your question post it here.
nsjpj

Translation Please

Post by nsjpj » Aug 28, 2014 3:51 am

I have come across the following two scripts.

Any translation would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

jpj
Attachments
script.jpg
(99.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Gary
The Boss

Re: Translation Please

Post by Gary » Aug 29, 2014 4:58 pm

This is probably (but not for sure) read from right-to-left. At least it almost makes sense in that right-to-left traditional Chinese order.

洲 Continent / Island
海 Ocean / Sea

This is not a word or title you'll find in the dictionary. Or just not a well-known title.

Whether you read it as 海洲 or 洲海, the meaning is something like "Sea Island". It could be the name of a place (certainly a place with the sea nearby, a harbor, or a beach).

Pronunciation:
Hǎi zhōu or Zhōu hǎi in Mandarin Chinese.
Umishu or Shuumi in Japanese.

Yours are written in Caoshu as known in Chinese, or what is called Sosho in Japanese. It actually means "grass script" in both languages. It's very hard to read, even for native Chinese and Japanese. I'm technically a calligraphy expert, and I have trouble reading this style.

Yours is a bit like this:
洲 海
洲 海
洲 海
All of these look quite different from the printed form:
洲 海

This research (deciphering) and report took about an hour of work, so please be kind with the donation button below.

Cheers,
-Gary.

nsjpj

Post by nsjpj » Sep 8, 2014 8:33 am

Gary,
thanks, I donated.
The person who wrote the script said it was a name...like Joe in US English, but is a female name in Chinese..maybe like Jiao?? Was hard to understand. :-)

pj

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 10, 2014 10:07 am

The character that romanizes as "zhou" actually sounds like "Joe". The "zh" in Chinese Pinyin romanization is actually a soft "j" sound. Some suggest it's half-way between a "ch" and "j" sound.

In fact, the whole thing sounds like "Hi Joe" (or "Joe Hi") if you used English words to approximate the sound of these characters.

Thanks for the donation!

-G.