Seal Ink

If you can't find a sub-forum that matches the subject of your question post it here.
sunmtn
Advanced Member

Seal Ink

Post by sunmtn » Dec 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Gary,
Do you have an ink for seals (chops) that produces a better impression than mine. I bought my ink from a supplier in California that gets their ink tins from China. However it takes a lot of 'doing' to get a good impression, repeated tries, repeated dips into the ink, etc. Then I find out that a closed tin of ink partly dries out in a few months. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keith Sonnenberg
Mesa, AZ

Gary
The Boss

Re: Seal Ink

Post by Gary » Dec 18, 2013 12:20 pm

If you want to save money (the ink in the tins is the cheapest), I like Yinni 682 (note, Yinni is not the brand, though westerners think it is, yinni just means "stamp clay" or "ink mud"). You can find it on eBay for about $4-$5:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calligraphy-Red ... 1073697674

This is a "you get what you pay for" issue. You can spent upwards of $50 on a really good ink. But that ink is like the Ferrari of inks. Very nice color and texture, but it takes a lot of maintenance. It needs to be stirred with a tiny spatula from time to time. Some people add a little olive oil or cooking oil and stirring to keep it moist.

The good inks are made from a special kind of red clay and oil. The ones in the tin do not have the same nice clay and oil smell, so I suppose the ones in the tin cans are more chemical-based, or a cheaper blend.

The technique of inking up your chop can be an issue. You should "pad" it into the ink over and over 5-10 times before trying to make an impression on the paper. This will get you better ink coverage on the chop.

-Gary.

sunmtn
Advanced Member

Post by sunmtn » Dec 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Gary wrote:If you want to save money (the ink in the tins is the cheapest), I like Yinni 682 (note, Yinni is not the brand, though westerners think it is, yinni just means "stamp clay" or "ink mud"). You can find it on eBay for about $4-$5:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calligraphy-Red ... 1073697674

This is a "you get what you pay for" issue. You can spent upwards of $50 on a really good ink. But that ink is like the Ferrari of inks. Very nice color and texture, but it takes a lot of maintenance. It needs to be stirred with a tiny spatula from time to time. Some people add a little olive oil or cooking oil and stirring to keep it moist.

The good inks are made from a special kind of red clay and oil. The ones in the tin do not have the same nice clay and oil smell, so I suppose the ones in the tin cans are more chemical-based, or a cheaper blend.

The technique of inking up your chop can be an issue. You should "pad" it into the ink over and over 5-10 times before trying to make an impression on the paper. This will get you better ink coverage on the chop.

-Gary.
Thank you. This is good information. At that price, I might try the Yinni 682 E-Bay ink first. I might pay more for a good ink however. Do you have any other leads on a better quality besides paying $50?

I think I'll try some olive oil on what I have as well.

Keith

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I have some $5 ink in porcelain. You can see what that looks like near the bottom of this page:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chops/
This is a nice-smelling clay ink, but really "entry level" - not name brand etc.

Otherwise, you can find more expensive red ink on eBay and elsewhere.

-G.