Nichiren Mandala Gohonzon

If you can't find a sub-forum that matches the subject of your question post it here.
aablack

Nichiren Mandala Gohonzon

Post by aablack » Sep 1, 2013 8:35 am

There's only one retailer serving North America that I can find who sells Nichiren Mandala Gohonzon scrolls--and those are tiny and not ideal. Would you ever considered making Nichiren Gohonzon wall scrolls? These wall scrolls are used by millions of Nichiren Buddhist in North America in their daily practice. While religious organizations provide the scrolls to members in exchange for donation, they retain ownership of the scrolls and reclaim them if a member leaves. This leaves a base of Nichiren Buddhists who either have no interest in joining an organization or who have left an organization but would like to continue to worship with a Gohonzon. I'd think selling such a scroll would prove fruitful and, as someone who has been in the market for them in the past, I'd love to have another option!

Gary
The Boss

Re: Nichiren Mandala Gohonzon

Post by Gary » Sep 3, 2013 9:12 am

So, you're looking for something like this calligraphy?
[image="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/150dpi.jpg/220px-150dpi.jpg"]Nichiren Mandala Gohonzon[/image]

This looks rather complicated. It will probably take a calligrapher several hours to properly compose and write (including a few test attempts to get it right). Judging by the number of characters and complexity, I think the Japanese master calligrapher could do this for about $169.88 for a medium-sized wall scroll.

Let me know if you want to pursue this.

-Gary.

aablack

Post by aablack » Sep 3, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks, Gary. It's good to know that a full mandala could be done from scratch. That's something I definitely want to keep in mind.

What I was thinking of, though, is a digital print of an already completed Nichiren Mandala framed as a scroll. The image you've posted in your message is of the mandala that the Kempon Hokke Shu uses. I believe it's a copy of one of Nichiren's own. There are quite a few of these copies of Nichiren originals as well as those done by later Nichiren monks available online that appear to be in public domain. These are often printed and framed in standard picture frames by independent Nichiren Buddhists.

In some ways, my question is both personal and a little more universal. I'd be interested in finding out how much it would cost to have a digital print properly framed in an authentic hanging scroll for me and I'm also just offering a friendly suggestion that their might be a customer base for such prints if you'd want to stock them in the future.

Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 3, 2013 11:37 am

I might be able to get prints made. In this case, I have to do a quantity of them that make the investment something I can apply to several pieces. For instance, it might cost me $200 to set up the graphics and get the prints made. If I made 100 pieces, each print might only cost $2 each (not mounted, just the paper print). So $4 each after you make 200 of them. But one piece only would cost $202.

If you have hi-resolution graphics you want to use, and want to order 10 or more wall scrolls, we could work something out. If you did 10 wall scrolls it would be something like $22 per print, and $32.88 for the basic wall scroll mounting ($54.88 total per piece). I'll pay for shipping if you get 10 pieces done.

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 13, 2016 9:29 am

A spam bot replied to this post earlier, so I was reading again.

I now own a $15,000 digital printer. I can print on beautiful rice paper and mulberry paper.

I just need someone who has an original piece or high-resolution graphics. I think we can provide this at a reasonable cost. The wall scroll costs about $33 and the printing can be done for about $20 (I make $10 of that $20 as the printing is more labor-intensive than you might think).

The first person to provide the needed graphics for this project can have theirs for half-price. I hope that incentive gets the ball rolling.

Yours,
-Gary.