Translation of symbols?

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
Cabeeny

Translation of symbols?

Post by Cabeeny » Apr 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I am trying to determine what these symbols translate to any assistance is appreciated please also give a reference as to where you found the information.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 7177 times

Gary
The Boss

Re: Translation of symbols?

Post by Gary » Apr 17, 2013 11:23 am

The upper left character really looks like 牙 Ivory / Tooth / Tusk / Fang

It probably indicates this is ivory (presumably from an Asian elephant). Until the 1950s when the practice was banned, thousands of elephants were killed for their tusks. It still happens now, but the law and the fact that most of the elephants are already killed off means poaching is rare. Only very rich Chinese people can afford new carved illegal ivory. The price is crazy high. I've heard that a half-kilogram (one pound) piece of carved ivory can cost as much as a new luxury car.

The other characters are just too hard to read, and appear to be in some kind of stylized form that's hard to recognize.

Before you try to sell your ivory in the USA, you will probably want to get it certified as legal. There is a new method available that measures trace amounts of radioactivity in ivory. It turns out that since the nuclear age, enough radio active materials have been released in the atmosphere with nuclear weapons tests that every living creature has absorbed some of this material since the 1950s. So if the ivory lacks these trace amounts of radioactivity, it was harvested before the 1950s, and is legal.

-Gary.

Cabeeny

Post by Cabeeny » Apr 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Thank you Gary I have included a clearer picture if the other symbols to see if anyone can decipher them. Can you refer me to a place who does this testing to determine the ivory? This is a large piece 4" x 22" and weighs about 11 lb. the strange think is I do not see Schreger lines or cross hatching patterns.
Attachments
image.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 19, 2013 11:45 am

The information I gave you about the ivory testing is from some news articles that I read. I don't have a reference for you. I'm sure a Google search can turn up some company that can do this for you. Keep in mind, there's no reason to do that, unless you plan to sell or insure the piece.

-Gary.