Scroll with Chinese and English

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
Alma

Scroll with Chinese and English

Post by Alma » Jul 30, 2012 10:39 am

I would like Chinese scrolls of specific chapters of Tao te Ching, but want a small english translation of my choice mounted underneath. The Chinese would be an upright rectangle with writing as is standard, but the English would be small horizontal in English beneath. Is this possible? Cost?

Gary
The Boss

Re: Scroll with Chinese and English

Post by Gary » Jul 30, 2012 11:52 am

Sorry, I don't do English inscriptions. Chinese or Japanese only. We do offer translation of your inscription into one of these languages.

Without years of practice, Roman letters look terrible when written with a Chinese calligraphy brush. Only a Vietnamese master calligrapher can do it well (and those are hard to find).

None of my Chinese calligraphers can speak, read, or write in English anyway, so that makes it hard too.

I tried this a few times in the past, and had to issue refunds when customers were not happy with the result.

-Gary.

Alma

Post by Alma » Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I agree, asking a chinese artist to do European calligraphy is too different. What I had in mind was printed english translation done on high quality paper. There are small shops here that print small orders, or a chain like Kinkos will even print nicely. (I think they are in china). I thought it would look nice mounted below the calligraphy on the scroll. Itwould allow Americans to understand better

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 31, 2012 3:01 pm

I can give you a PDF file with information about the characters on the wall scroll. Then you can print that on whatever kind of paper you want. Then make it into a plaque or sign on the wall describing the calligraphy.

-Gary.