Deciphering Seal Script

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
mkountz

Deciphering Seal Script

Post by mkountz » Apr 18, 2012 10:59 pm

I understand that the following text stamped on a sword I'm being offered is Seal Script(image attached). I also understand that Gary has mentioned that he's swamped with business. I'm hoping a brave forum member would be willing to offer me some assistance with translating the text. I have found similar text in images used around the site, but no translation accompanied those images.

For instance the following image
http://a.ooi1.com/chops/2.gif
found on this page
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddetail.php?prod=chop
Contains a portion of the text in the second stamp(from the top) of the blade.
Attachments
_MK08977.jpg

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Re: Deciphering Seal Script

Post by Yankee » Apr 30, 2012 7:56 am

The first two (top two) are definitely these two:

柔情

The first one can be read "jū" or "yawara" (most likely "jū" in this case). This is the same as the first character in jūdō and jūjutsu, which means 'tender'; 'gentle'; 'soft'; 'supple'; 'pliable'; 'flexible'.

The second one is probably read "jō" in this instance, and it means 'feelings'; 'emotion'.

The first two paired together would seem to mean 'gentle feeling' or something similar, but without more context, I can't be sure of that. I looked through some lists of yojijukugo (4-character idiomatic compounds) but was unsuccessful in finding any common compounds that started with these two characters. Additionally, I couldn't find these two paired together either, so I'm not positive that they're working together as a compound, but they're definitely the right characters. Of that much I'm sure.

The third one has me baffled, but I'll keep looking.

At first, I thought the fourth one was 術 (jutsu), which means 'art'; 'technique'; 'skill' and is the same character used in arts such as jūjutsu, kenjutsu, taijutsu, etc.; however, after further analysis, I'm not 100% sure of that. I still think it could be that one, but I'm not ready to say that with absolute certainty at this point.

I'll see if I can dig anything else up, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know.

Scott

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Post by Yankee » May 9, 2012 9:24 pm

Sorry, this thread kind of slipped my mind. I haven't been able to turn up anything else other than what I've already stated, i.e., that the first two characters are 柔情 [jūjō] and that they would mean something along the lines of 'gentle feeling'.

I wish I could figure out what those other two are supposed to be, but I've been unable to decipher them.

Sorry I didn't have more.

Scott

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 10, 2012 7:02 pm

My Chinese translator looked at this too. While you can figure out some of the radicals on the final two characters, they are totally a mystery. It would take a lot of effort and research to figure them out (probably not worth the expense you or us to do that).

-Gary.

mkountz

Post by mkountz » May 29, 2012 1:13 am

Thank you, both of you. I forgot I had asked this here when I ordered the translation service from Gary, and only just now saw the replies. That's more info than I had when I started, and for that I am very grateful. Thank you again. :)

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 29, 2012 8:49 am

Wow, did you order the translation service?
Can you give me the order number or a last name so I can match this up.
I'll have the translator work on the final two characters a bit harder if that's the case.

-Gary.

mkountz

Post by mkountz » May 29, 2012 9:57 am

Gary, the number is: 15245
Thank you. :)

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry about that. I guess we got started on this, and then it was derailed somewhere. I'm going to have my translator look at some dictionaries of seal script characters to match up with your sword.

-Gary.

mkountz

Post by mkountz » May 30, 2012 8:50 pm

No worries. :) I knew before ordering that you had said in the forum you were swamped with work, and almost didn't really want any new work. I expect these things happen when you have a lot on your plate. Thanks again.

Cat
Professional Chinese Translator

Post by Cat » Jun 5, 2012 10:48 pm

Those characters are:
柔 Heart of Judo
情 Passions / Feelings / Emotions
似
水 Water

This is a Chinese phrase, commonly used to describe the love/affections/emotional feelings a girl has for her lover. Occasionally used for men when it comes to describe "the soft side" of his love.

It basically translated as: "the affections/love is as tender/soft as water" or "tender love like a water"

Sorry for the long wait...:)

-Cat.

mkountz

Post by mkountz » Jun 5, 2012 11:11 pm

Wow, that's great! I own the sword now, couldn't pass it up, and now that I know what it says, that makes owning it even sweeter. I am always going to wonder what such a tender expression is doing on a weapon, but that will add to it's charm, I think.

Thank you so much for your help with this. :)