Request for a short phrase translation

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
nite5hade

Request for a short phrase translation

Post by nite5hade » Feb 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi,
I am glad I found this forum- hopefully if you have time you can fill in the blanks here! I recently purchased a guitar strap with some Kanji characters on it. After a few days of using various utilities, I've found out what they all are- they are in the following sequence, top to bottom:
我 祝 愿 我 会 演 奏

I've gathered that the phrase is something to do with performing music, celebrating coming together to perform music, etc, but I can't quite figure it out by looking at the individual symbols. Hopefully the sequence makes more immediate sense to someone that understands the language- assuming the people designing this strap knew what they were doing!

Here is a photo of the strap in question, where the last 6 characters are visible. Since the first is the same character as the fourth, this shows them all:

I'd love to learn more about these languages someday, but that's probably far off for now. Thanks very much for your time and willingness to help out people like myself!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Over the weekend, I passed this on to the native translator to take a look. She's in the office today, so I think she'll be looking at it soon.

Hopefully she can come up with a 5-10 minute answer. These "simple" translations often take a lot longer, which makes it harder to do for free.

-Gary.

nite5hade

Post by nite5hade » Feb 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Oh, thanks for the update. I hope it isn't too much trouble, though I understand if it is. Thanks for the attention all the same.

Cat
Professional Chinese Translator

Post by Cat » Feb 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the clear picture of the characters :) But from what I can guess, it's very likely to be a bad direct-online translation of "I wish i can play".

As you know, the characters on the belt are:
我祝愿我会演奏

To translate them separately:
我 = I / me
祝愿 = wish ( It's for "I wish for somebody something good", for instance, "I wish you good luck", or "I wish you a happy new year"... etc. )
我 = I
会 = can/ be possible / be able to / to assemble / to meet / to gather / to see / union / group / association
演奏 = play (a music instrument)

For Mandarin Speakers, if we try to say "I wish I can play (a music instrument)", we will use "我希望我会演奏", or "我希望演奏”. We just don't use "祝愿" in this circumstance.

Therefore, in Mandarin Chinese, the characters on the belt does not make good sense. But they might have better answers in Japanese or Cantonese Chinese...

-Cat.