Taekwondo Tenets

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service

Taekwondo Tenets

Postby tkdsm1 » Apr 2, 2012 7:00 am

Hi Gary

I am looking to get a tattoo of the tenets of taekwondo and have seen on your site that this is something that has been requested in the past. I am specificially looking for the words

Courtesy
Integrity
Perserverance
Self Control
Indomitbale Spirit

however, without the title of Tenets / Spirit of Taekwondo.

I currently have a tattoo of Taekwondo, which matches the 3 characters on your taekwondo.php page (on the right hand side) which I assume is the reference to using modern Korean Hangul and I was wondering what your thoughts would be for creating the tenets tattoo using original Korean Hanja or should I stick with using the modern Hangul

My current tattoo is on my back between the shoulder blades and my new tattoo will be run down the length of spine

Hope to hear from you soon

Stewart McRoberts
tkdsm1

Re: Taekwondo Tenets

Postby Gary » Apr 2, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm struggling with what kind of advice to give you here.

The General Choi wrote his tenets in Hanja:
Taekwondo Tenets

So if you'd asked me before you got your current tattoo, I'd have told you to do the whole thing in Hanja instead of Hangul.

At this point, it's a hard answer to give. In my readings, I get the idea that General Choi had either contempt for modern Hangul, or a love for old Hanja (also known as Chinese characters). I've also talked to some Korean calligraphers who prefer to only write in classic Hanja, and rarely in Hangul except when someone begs or asks specifically for it.

Here's images from a trip to look for a Hangul calligrapher...
Girl Writing Korean Hangul Korean Hangul Calligrapher Korean Hangul Calligraphy Students Watch
Hard to make out, but after I asked this calligrapher to write the main characters in Hangul, he wrote the inscription in old Korean Hanja as his students watched. This suggests that mixing Hangul and Hanja is OK.
This was a Saturday calligraphy class for these youngsters. Normally, the calligrapher just writes his own work, and teaches some adults.

If you choose Hangul for your tattoo, I only have processed one Hangul font for tattoo templates, but I might be able to come up with a couple more. This is what I can offer in bigger format:

跆 Kick
拳 Fist
道 Way / Daoism / Taoism
精
神 Spirit / Spiritual Essence

禮 Respect
義 Justice / Rectitude / Right Decision
廉
恥
忍 Patience
耐
克
己
百
折
不
屈

You're going to need to make your own decision though.
Gary
The Boss

Postby tkdsm1 » Apr 13, 2012 1:07 am

Hi Gary

Sorry for the delay. Many thanks you for the info above. The choice for using, what I now understand to be the modern characters, was predominantly down to their use throughout the Taekwondo organisations that I have been part of and not much to do with understanding of what was original or modern. Its really only when reading your site that I have increased my own knowledge in the different styles taht are used.

Now that I am looking to get further words relating to Taekwondo and specifically the words written by General Choi, and after much thought, I think that I would prefer to go for the original Hanja for the Tenets. This would give me a sense of 'modern' with my original tattoo and 'historical' with the next one.

What would be the best way to place the order?

Stewart McRoberts
tkdsm1

Postby Gary » Apr 13, 2012 10:50 pm

You can order here:
chinese-character-japanese-kanji-tattoo-service.php

The price is $20 for the first English word, and $5 each additional word.

At the end of the list of words, type "in Hanja", so I am reminded this is Korean.

-Gary.
Gary
The Boss

Postby tkdsm1 » Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Gary

Sorry for the delay. I was getting ready to sit my 2nd degree grading and all my time was spent training. I have just placed the order for the words

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

to be written in Korean Hanja (essentially the characters from your Taekwondo Page withouut the Title element)

As a nice coincidence, my certificate for my grading has the tenets in original Hanja printed on it, so really glad to be going with this style.

Many thanks for you help on this and look forward to receiving the graphics in due course

Stewart McRoberts
tkdsm1

Postby Gary » Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I saw your order. I'll try to get these created for you late tonight. I'm in the Army National Guard, and there's a leaders/staff meeting tonight. I hope it doesn't go on for hours so that I can get your project done before midnight.

-Gary.
Gary
The Boss

Postby Gary » Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I forgot, there's one more issue. Do you want these in the Korean Hanja that General Choi wrote them in, or do you want the most commonly-written versions of Hanja? Two characters vary slightly.

Oddly, General Choi used a more "Chinese" selection of Korean Hanja characters (if that makes any sense).

-Gary.
Gary
The Boss

Postby tkdsm1 » Apr 28, 2012 3:57 am

Hi Gary

If they can be done in the Hanja used by General Choi that would be great

Stewart McRoberts
tkdsm1

If you appreciate the answers given to you, please donate so I can keep this forum going.
The typical visitor donates $5 to $20.
No need to donate for order inquires or questions about our Asian artwork.

Return to Chinese Character & Japanese Kanji Tattoo Questions & Advice