Life goes on

If you can't find a sub-forum that matches the subject of your question post it here.
hibk

Life goes on

Post by hibk » May 4, 2008 10:07 am

I really like the wall scroll phrase of "life goes on"http://www.orientaloutpost.com/calligrapher.php?cname=Life+Goes+On&cimg=29983+27963+22312+32380+32396 I was wondering what each character means? I recognize the first one as life. but the last 2 characters are really throwing me off.
thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 5, 2008 9:17 am

You can find the original, but brief explanation here:
How to say "Life goes on" in Chinese

Here is the annotation:
生活 - shēng huó - life / activity
在 - zài - (located) at / in / exist
继续 - jì xù - to continue / to proceed with / to go on with
Note: This is some Chinese text above, which may be rendered as "text garbage" or empty boxes if your computer cannot handle it.

A simple dictionary annotation never really explains what the phrase is about.
The phrase literally means, "life (exists in a state of) continuing".

But the literal translation does not give you the comfort of a natural phrase composed in English.
This would naturally be translated in English as, "Life goes on".

I hope that gives you the info you were looking for.

Cheers,
-Gary.

manout

Post by manout » Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

I have read the thread and from reading the link provided in the thread I have learned a lot about the ‘life goes on’ wall scroll. I too like to have such a ‘life goes on’ wall scroll. I saw many varieties of ‘life goes on’ character styles and calligraphy scripts from the links mentioned in the thread. I really liked the ‘life goes on’ wall scroll in Chinese calligraphic script and planning to buy one soon.
Hello