i need to translate english to kanji

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
dluginbill

i need to translate english to kanji

Post by dluginbill » Dec 21, 2013 7:00 pm

can you translate "the way to love" or "the way to have love for" into kanji and romaji? i think that what i want to say is "aisuru-do" but im not sure if that would be correct. if so, could you please tell me the kanji as i may want to order scrolls and other things. thank you in advance.

Gary
The Boss

Re: i need to translate english to kanji

Post by Gary » Dec 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Hmmm...

The title that comes to mind is 大愛道. This means, "the great way of love", "big way of love", "grand way of love", or, "exemplar of love".

This used to be the name of Mahāprajāpatī, the aunt and nurse of Śākyamuni, later reborn as Sarvasattvapriyadarśanā. She was the first or highest order Buddhist nun. Very few Buddhists still use or know this old name (out of fashion about 200 years ago), as they now call her 大生主.

The short form could be 愛道. Simple "love way", which could also be translated as "way of love" or "road of love" (like the way or road you travel to find love - that way or road can also mean "method").

Any other version will be a bit wordy. It won't be a concise title like this.

Romaji: dai ai dō
Mandarin/Pinyin: dà ài dào

You can order the 3-character title here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=%E5%A4%A7%E6%84%9B%E9%81%93&cimg=22823+24859+36947

Short version here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=%E6%84%9B%E9%81%93&cimg=24859+36947

Cheers,
-Gary.

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Post by Yankee » Dec 24, 2013 10:44 am

I concur 100% with Gary. Either of the options that he offered would be great.

Definitely don't use the originally posted version with the verb suru in the middle. That will sound odd.

Scott

dluginbill

Post by dluginbill » Dec 26, 2013 8:59 am

I want to thank both of you gentlemen for your quick response. I also greatly appreciate the little bit of extra insight into the meaning of what i want to convey. I am going to have to do more research because I am intrigued by your story. I will want to designa patch and letter head as well as scrolls and certificates. I hope that you will be able to help with those add well. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

David Luginbill

dluginbill

Post by dluginbill » Jan 4, 2014 11:42 pm

Yankee wrote:I concur 100% with Gary. Either of the options that he offered would be great.

Definitely don't use the originally posted version with the verb suru in the middle. That will sound odd.

Scott

dluginbill

Post by dluginbill » Jan 5, 2014 12:51 am

Gary,
Thank you again for your work in researching and translating "the way of love" for me. I have a couple more simple questions for you if you will permit me.
I have been involved in the martial arts for over 30yrs now. In those 30+ years, I have been involved in the ongoing study of over 12 styles and as any lifelong martial artist would do, I have taken what I deemed the most valuable and necessary skills from each art and applied these varying aspects into what I teach. In addition to different parts of each, style my main focus is on teaching people how to remove hate from their lives and learn to truly love, everything and everyone, good and/or bad. I have obviously been researching a name for my system so that I don't have to tell people that "I teach a little of this and a little of that"
I'm apologize for my long windedness but I thought that some background would help determine exactly what I need. Since I am teaching the continual "action" of love and learning to have love, would my styles name be considered more of a verb(the action of loving" or more of a noun(the way of love,the path of love)? In Asian culture, would what I am teaching be more of an action or a thing?
2- depending on which phrase is most accurate, how do I write it? Do the kanji go top to bottom, bottom to top or side to side and in what order. In other words, how will it read?
My last question is in regards to the story and meaning associated with Dai ai do. Upon learning more about the lady you spoke of, I couldn't find any information as to how this woman turned Buddhist nun was ever referred to by the name dai ai do or being "the way to love". I like the story of her raising the Buddha as her own child when his own mother passed away but I'm just having a hard time making the connection.
Thank you so much again. I truly appreciate you help with this ad I'm obviously still confused. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
David Luginbill

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 5, 2014 8:41 pm

The most traditional way to orient the characters is from top to bottom.

If you need it to be horizontal, the traditional way is right-to-left (opposite of English).

As far as 大愛道, this is an antiquated name for Mahapajapati that has been replaced. But I still find some 1.4 Million results on Chinese and Japanese Google when I search. You'll probably find nothing searching in English for a romanization of this name. Just ignore 大愛道. I'm full of extraneous tidbits of information.

More about here here if you want it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahapajapati_Gotami
http://nunscommunity.net/gautami.html

I still like 愛道 for your title. It's simple, cool, and elegant.

Cheers,
-Gary.

dluginbill

Post by dluginbill » Jan 6, 2014 5:38 pm

Gary,
Once again sir your help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to doing business with you in the not so distant future. Thank you for all that you do.

Sincerely,

David Luginbill

annaya

Post by annaya » Apr 11, 2015 12:45 am

think that what i want to say is "aisuru-do" but im not sure if that would be correct. if so, could you please tell me the kanji as i may want to order scrolls and other things. thank you in advanc

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Post by Yankee » Apr 11, 2015 6:59 am

I definitely would not use the originally posted version with the verb suru in the middle. That will sound odd.

Gary's suggestions of 大愛道 [Daiaidō] or 愛道 [Aidō] are excellent choices for this.

Personally, I prefer the latter, 愛道 [Aidō], but either would work.

I hope that helps.

Scott