Phrase Request

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
Enrico

Phrase Request

Post by Enrico » Dec 4, 2013 9:52 am

Hello,
Is it possible to have a hanging scroll with the following phrase in japanese: The Three Dharma Seals: impermanence; non-self; and nirvana.

Could it be arranged using the "bottom" option with "The Three Dharma Seals" as the main caracters e the rest in the bottom of the scroll?

Thank you very much.

Enrico

Gary
The Boss

Re: Phrase Request

Post by Gary » Dec 6, 2013 12:37 am

I think you're talking about 三法 (San Fa).

From the Buddhist dictionary, that's:
The three dharma, i.e. 教法 the Buddha's teaching; 行法 the practice of it; 證法 realization or experiential proof of it in bodhi and nirvāṇa.

No problem writing the three dharma below the main characters. Just add an inscription when you customize the wall scroll. The text can be 教法, 行法, 證法

You can start your order here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Three+Dharma&cimg=19977+27861

Cheers,
-Gary.

Enrico

Post by Enrico » Dec 6, 2013 4:20 am

Hello Gary,

Actually I'm talking about this: http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/G%20-%20TNH/TNH/The%20Three%20Dharma%20Seals/The%20Three%20Dharma%20Seals.htm

Thich Nhat Hanh says this: "Every authentic teaching of the Buddha must bear three Dharma Seals: Every authentic teaching of the Buddha must bear three Dharma Seals: impermanence, non-self, and nirvana.".

And I find the definition of this three Dharma seals to be very interesting and very representative of the buddhist philosophy. Is it possible to translate "impermanence, non-self and nirvana" and place them on the bottom of the scroll?
Thanks,
Enrico

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 9, 2013 8:09 pm

三 Three
法 Dharma / The Law
印 Seal

Three Dharma Seals / Three Marks of Existence (suffering, impermanence, non-self)

三法印

You can order this title here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Three+Dharma+Seals&cimg=19977+27861+21360

Add these as your inscription if desired:
無我 Selflessness / Non-Self / Non-Personality
無常 Impermanence / Non-Permanence (Never-ending cycle of birth, existence, change, and death)
涅槃 Nirvana

It took me a couple hours to research this. There's lots of English references, but nothing was correlating to the original Chinese. I tried the site you gave, but they've got so many errors in the Chinese encoding on their very few Chinese web pages that it's unusable. I finally found this:
http://www.english.fgs2.ca/?q=three-dharma-seals

The problem is that there are so many sets of "laws" or "dharmas" in Buddhism. I found several that were sets of three. This makes it really hard to isolate which set of laws with "three" in the title is the one you want.

A lot of times, in English, the word "seal" might be used in place of symbol or character. But in this case, "seal" was the giveaway.

In fact, 印 can mean all these things: to print; to mark; to engrave; a print; a stamp; a mark; a trace; image; sign; symbol; emblem; badge; crest; flag; evidence; proof; assurance; approval.
It can also be a Buddhist term, mudra, a symbolic hand gesture.

Searching for specific info (characters) on Chinese and Japanese Google, there are exceedingly few results. I can infer from the lack of results, this is a somewhat-rare title.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Enrico

Post by Enrico » Dec 10, 2013 2:53 am

Perfect, Gary! Thank you very much! I'll order it.
Regards,
Enrico

Enrico

Post by Enrico » Dec 10, 2013 3:26 am

Gary,

I'm sorry but I didnt realise you had translated to chinese. I was actually interested in buying a scroll in japanese. Is it possible to translate it to japanese? I'm so sorry about that. Hope it isnt much trouble.
Thanks.
Regards,
Enrico

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 10, 2013 9:57 am

I rechecked everything. These are the same in Japanese.

You were actually referencing the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Buddhist Monk. This is really a separate spur of language.

For Buddhism and the parallel spread of written language, it goes something like this:

From Sanskrit / Pali, Buddhism spread to:
-> Tibetan
-> Chinese

From Chinese to:
-> Japanese
-> Korean
-> Vietnamese

This happened in the 4th and 5th centuries A.D.

Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese borrowed Chinese characters into their languages as the standard written form. This happened alongside the introduction of Chinese Buddhist texts to these cultures. The Chinese characters were absorbed along with their meaning, and usually an essence of the original Chinese pronunciation.

Later, Korea switched to Hangul characters for the most part about 100 years ago.
Also, Vietnam, with some pressure from western missionaries, got rid of Chinese characters and romanized their language.

Most 1-2 Kanji words currently used in Japanese hold exactly the same meaning as the current word in Chinese. This is especially true of Buddhist words and concepts which do not evolve in meaning the same way common language does.

-Gary.

Enrico

Post by Enrico » Dec 11, 2013 3:42 am

Ok, Gary. Thanks again for your time! I'll order it now.
Regards,
Enrico