School of Light / Way of Light in Japanese

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
ReikiAnna
Advanced Member

School of Light / Way of Light in Japanese

Post by ReikiAnna » Feb 4, 2013 11:13 am

Hello Gary,

I would like to order two scrolls for my Reiki School with the following text in Japanese kanji:

1. School of Light

2. Way of Light

From research online I found that one would sound like Hikari no Gakkou, and the other Hikari no Do...
But needs to be verified.. Would it be possible to get the correct translations for these in order to order them?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Re: School of Light / Way of Light in Japanese

Post by Yankee » Feb 5, 2013 7:57 am

Here’s the short version for a quick answer:

1. Hikari Dōjō
2. Hikari no Michi

And, in case you’re interested, here’s the long version of my thoughts on this:

1. I wouldn’t use 学校 [gakkō] for ‘school’ in this context as it makes it sound like a regular high school, etc. For disciplines such as this, I would use 道場 [dōjō], especially since what you’re teaching is a 道 []. Also, since this is the name of a school, I would omit the possessive particle の [no] and tack 光 [hikari] right on the front of it, which would produce 光道場 [hikari dōjō].

2. The “way” thing can be constructed one of two ways. You can either tack the character 道 right on the end and read it as [], or you can insert the possessive particle の [no] between the two words and use the alternate native Japanese reading for 道, which is michi. So, it would be either hikaridō or hikari no michi. In my opinion, the latter sounds much more natural in this case. The reason is that, generally speaking, you want the same types of readings together, and if you pair hikari (a native Japanese reading) with (a borrowed Chinese reading), it sounds a little off. So, I would go with 光の道 [hikari no michi] on this one.

Alternatively, you could switch them both to their borrowed Chinese readings and call it 光道 [kōdō], but usually there’s at least another character in style/art names that use this construction and reading, so I still think the 光の道 [hikari no michi] version sounds better. Additionally, the school name mentioned in item 1 uses the hikari reading, and it also seems that you like this reading, so that’s another reason to stick with that.

As always, I further recommend having Gary’s native Japanese translator verify this. It’s very reasonably priced and well worth the expense.

I hope this helps.

Scott

ReikiAnna
Advanced Member

Post by ReikiAnna » Feb 9, 2013 11:50 am

Hello Scott,

Thank you.
I thought that "michi" is used more as "road" :)
I appreaciate your response. How would it be possible to arrange Gary's translator to recommend the best name translation of the two(my personal preference is School of Light, but I would like the Japanese version to reflect the meaning) and to order the calligraphy of this?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Regards,
Anna

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Feb 9, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes, michi and dō can mean a literal road, or they can refer to a road, path, way, etc., that one follows in life, such as a particular study or discipline. As far as the readings, michi and dō are two readings for the same character (道).

For example, Jim Breen’s dictionary lists the English tags for michi as (1) road; street; way; path; course; route; lane; (2) distance; ways (e.g. "a long ways"); (3) the way (of proper conduct, etc.); one's way; morals; (4) teachings (esp. Confucian or Buddhist); dogma; (5) field (of medicine, etc.); subject; (6) way; method; means. [emphasis mine]

I’m reminded of the book Ryū Te no Michi: The Way of Ryūkyū Hands (Classical Okinawan Karate) [琉手の道] by the late Oyata Seiyū (http://www.amazon.com/Ryu-Te-No-Michi-Classical-Okinawan/dp/B0006RTKK8).

As far as arranging for the native Japanese translator to render a translation for you, Gary monitors this forum and should be able to respond and set that up for you.

Scott

ReikiAnna
Advanced Member

Post by ReikiAnna » Feb 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you.
The choice then is betweek Hikari no michi and Hikari Dojo....
Looking forward to hearing from Gary about translator and ordering of the calligraphy.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Here are links where you can order either or both of these titles:

Hikari Dojo: http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Hikari+Dojo&cimg=20809+36947+22580

Hikari no Michi: http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?name=Hikari+no+Michi&cimg=20809+12398+36947

I've sent a message to my Japanese calligrapher asking for an opinion about these titles.

-Gary.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm

ReikiAnna,

I just wanted to clarify that hikari dōjō specifically refers to the physical place where the art is studied—hence its suggestion as a translation for 'School of Light'—and hikari no michi specifically refers to the discipline/art itself, i.e., the "way" or "path" that one follows, which is why I offered it as a translation for 'Way of Light'.

I wasn't sure if that distinction was made clear, so I wanted to follow up just in case.

Scott

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm

The Japanese master calligrapher, Michiko Imai likes both of these in the context you plan to use them in. She looks forward to writing your special calligraphy.

-Gary.

ReikiAnna
Advanced Member

Post by ReikiAnna » Jun 1, 2013 10:07 am

Hello Gary!
I would like to order another Japanese calligraphy related to Reiki... Does a phrase Koufuku Dojo make sense (I need a kanji for "School of Happiness (well-being, joy, this kind of happiness..)".. Would that be possible? Does the romaji translation above correspond to what I'm looking for? Could you please advise me the link to pass the order? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 3, 2013 1:57 pm

I think 光復道場 is OK. You can name a dojo just about anything. It's sort of like naming a restaurant or any other kind of business.

You can order that on a custom calligraphy wall scroll here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Happiness+Dojo&cimg=20809+24489+36947+22580

-Gary.

ReikiAnna
Advanced Member

Post by ReikiAnna » Jun 4, 2013 3:17 am

Thank you.. Just one question - how would you translate that? In romaji that is Hikari fuku dojo.. If taken separately can be translated as Light, Good Fortune... Or Liberation.. Could you please confirm to me that the two kanji together mean happinness in the sence of well-being, self-development (spiritual happiness)? Thank you!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jun 4, 2013 7:48 am

Oops, I grabbed the wrong koufuku when I put that together. You want:
幸福道場
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Kofuku+Dojo&cimg=24184+31119+36947+22580

The other would be "Liberation Dojo", "Recovery Dojo", or some might read it as "Light Returning Dojo".

Your choices for romanizing the whole thing:

Koufuku Doujou
Kōfuku Dōjō

A lot of people drop the accents over the "o", so you get:
Kofuku Dojo
Not technically correct romaji, but everybody in the west does this.

-Gary.