Need translation for 2 Custom Scrolls I'd like to Purchase

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
mikekolba

Need translation for 2 Custom Scrolls I'd like to Purchase

Post by mikekolba » Jan 9, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello Gary,

I take Karate (Tang Soo Do) lessons and I'd like to see If I can get the following 2 items Translated for Scroll's I'd like to make with you.

The first is

Five Codes of Tang Soo Do (I'd like to have this phrase as a special inscription on the scroll with the following 5 items)

1. Loyalty to country
2. Obedience to parents
3. Honor friendship
4. No retreate in battle
5. In fighting, choose with sense and honor

the second is

7 Tenets of Tang Soo Do (I'd like to have this phrase as a special inscription on the scroll also with the following 7 items)

1. Integrity
2. Concentration
3. Perseverence
4. Respect and Obedience
5. Self-Control
6. Humility
7. Indomitable Spirit

I was wondering how I would fill out the above translated information for the custom scroll/order so it gets correctly done as well.

In addition, I'm also going to order a 3rd Tang Soo Do scroll but I saw on the site that you already had one of those pre-configured.

Finally, I'm intending on framing these. Is there any special recommendations you have for framing?

Thanks for your assistance with this. I apprecate it!

Gary
The Boss

Re: Need translation for 2 Custom Scrolls I'd like to Purcha

Post by Gary » Jan 9, 2013 3:28 pm

I can set this up for you, but do you happen to have images of these tenets for me?
I can't spend hours and hours research what each of them should be (at least not without a fee), but if you can start me off with the correct characters, there won't be a translation fee.

Also, are you planning on these to be in traditional/old Korean Hanja, or modern Korean Hangul characters?

Luckily, I already probably have some of the same references in these tenets:
shufa.php?q=tkd
But these took hours of work to research, verify, and format.

As far as framing:
I offer wall scrolls that are ready-to-hang, and I also offer portraits which are ready-to-frame. The portraits would have your choice of silk brocade border. They will be thick enough for proper handling during framing (sometimes raw calligraphy is purchased un-mounted, and it's very hard to frame in that condition - I never sell it that way).

When you go to a professional framer, they will be able to show you a lot of moulding colors and materials (usually wood) to match up with your artwork. You can really personalize it that way. You'll also learn about different glazing (glass). There's plain glazing, which is OK if there's low, muted light, but the reflections can be distracting. They have a low-reflective glazing, which is more money, but does not have harsh reflections - but has a slight frosted look. The best and most expensive is museum glazing. It is super clear, does not reflect, and will lighten your wallet like you can't imagine.

If it's going in a dojo, I suggest acrylic glazing instead of glass. That way, if some sparring gets out of hand, and someone's bow staff flies into the artwork, it won't shatter.

-Gary.

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Jan 9, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Gary,

This is what I came up with on my research but I could still use a little help on 2-3 of the terms in the 7 tenets portion. Some of them looked to be similar to the tae kwon do ones but some I wasn't sure on entirely.

I attached them all in a word document to make it more readable and easier to follow.

Can you let me know what other assistance I can provide so I can place an order?

Also was planning on these being in traditional/old Korean Hanja.
Attachments
Tang Soo Do.doc
Attachment for review.
(58 KiB) Downloaded 532 times

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Jan 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Gary, Did my attachment that I posted help any?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am

I had military duty the last few days, so I could not make much progress on this until this morning. Sorry for the delay.

This has been a killer project. It turns out, the document you provided was full of errors. Some of the definitions were wrong, or mistakenly swapped between two of the codes. In one case, the wrong character was used (though similar in appearance).

The romanizations listed in that document do not make any sense (at least, they don't match the five codes).

I had to kind of start from scratch, and research each title.

I have three hours of work into this so far. Most of that time was research to make sure this is right. I'm still working on the Korean pronunciation for these codes. They seem to be originally in old Chinese grammar (the same grammar was more or less borrowed into ancient Korean).

You can find what I have so far by looking at the second entry on this search page:
shufa.php?q=tang+soo+do

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I see the second page of your document is really my information on Taekwondo tenets, with some modifications (holes in the information for what you want). I'm way behind schedule for today since the first part took so long. I need to wait until I have some time available for the rest of this.

-G.

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Feb 2, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks Gary I appreciate the efforts. If you need a couple extra bucks for the effort I have no problem with paying that.

Much obliged.

Mike

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 3, 2013 10:52 am

I've worked on finding an "original list" of these 7 Tang Soo Doo tenets. I've come to the conclusion that there is not one. I believe somebody just created this list in English (probably based on some Taekwondo tenets).

I guess we have to piece this together instead of finding an original standard.

We'll base as much as possible on the TKD tenets. This leaves the following missing tenets:

Concentration can be 專心 / 専心 / 耑心 (all the same word, just written differently).

http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=%E5%B0%88%E5%BF%83

I also like this for concentration: 精進
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=%E7%B2%BE%E9%80%B2

Respect and obedience is difficult to combine.
One version of obedience is 從命, but this is not really related to respect.
There is a Buddhist term, 委敬 which roughly means "respect and obey".
There is another word, 遵守 which suggests obeying and respecting (rules). This one is also a Korean word.

It seems you like 謙遜 for humility. This is a good choice. Also used in CKD tenets.
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?&q=%E8%AC%99%E9%81%9C

I just need a confirmation from you for which "concentration" and "respect and obedience" you want to use.

I hate making up a list of words/characters for an organization that I'm not a member of, so I feel a little apprehensive about this project.

-Gary.

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Feb 4, 2013 3:25 pm

I'd go with this one for concentration

I also like this for concentration: 精進
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=%E7%B2%BE%E9%80%B2

This one for respect and obey
There is another word, 遵守 which suggests obeying and respecting (rules). This one is also a Korean word.

I'd say these would probably be the best choices. It's kind of hard when they have similar meanings in some cases and which one is "more right"...

I wish someone had a list of these in korean already also- would have made both our lives easier lol.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 4, 2013 11:24 pm

It is tough, but English has some of the same issues...

When is "courage" better than "bravery" or more suitable than "valor"?
Lots of words have the same meaning with just subtle differences in flavor.

Anyway, I've added this big selection for you. You can find it here:
shufa.php?q=tang+soo+do
It's the second title on this page. I just finished adding it a few minutes ago.

-Gary.

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Feb 5, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Gary! I appreciate the help and hard work on em.

Mike

mikekolba

Post by mikekolba » Feb 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Gary, one other note. I linked the versions on the site to some members of my Tang Soo Do class also so if there is any corrections from what they may have seen previously, they may let me know. Also you may sell a couple more this way :)

Mike

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 11, 2013 12:53 pm

As long as they are getting the Tang Soo Do titles from pages like this:
shufa.php?q=tang+soo+do
...They will get the same thing.

Of course, we kind of patched together the Tang Soo Do tenets for you. So, if someone else with some authority contacts me to correct them, I will. But I think they are as accurate as possible.

-Gary.