Happy Monkey School

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
MichaelBoblett

Happy Monkey School

Post by MichaelBoblett » Dec 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Is this the right place to ask about this? I am developing a new school of physical movement called the Happy Monkey School, not a building but a discipline related to yoga. I imagine the characters "happy" and "monkey" would work, but I don't believe that the "dao" character works as well as "jiao" as in "fojiao." What is your advice? I'm assuming that either way I would want a three-character scroll.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Happy Monkey School

Post by Gary » Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm

This is going to be more complicated than you think. I just talked to the native professional Chinese translator, and she said she needed some time to think this over. Ending with "jiao" will make it sound like a strange "monkey-worshiping cult or religion". Even deciding which kind of "happy" to use with "monkey" will require a careful and thoughtful consideration.

I'm going to let her bill me 15 minutes for this work, but if it's going to go beyond that time frame, we may have to talk about a translation fee for you.

Keep in mind that companies like Walmart spend 6 months and half a million dollars trying to decide how to write "Walmart" in Chinese. Awkwardly, it's written differently in mainland China and Taiwan. This translation effort might cost you $20 for an hour of the translator's time.

I'll get back to you.

Yours,
-Gary.

MichaelBoblett

Re: Happy Monkey School

Post by MichaelBoblett » Dec 22, 2012 6:00 am

Dear Gary:

Such a quick answer! Clearly I have much to learn. So I will wait on this project.

Gassho
Michael Boblett