Scroll request: The St. Michael prayer

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
j_smith898

Scroll request: The St. Michael prayer

Post by j_smith898 » Nov 3, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello! First off allow me to thank you for the quality services you and your artists provide! May God continue to bless your enterprise, sir!

I'm wanting to have a traditional Japanese wall scroll made for somebody very dear to me for Christmas. She has a love for all things Japan and a special devotion to St. Michael. I figured a wall scroll with the St. Michael Prayer in kanji would be a very meaningful gift! The prayer is as follows:

"St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, cast into Hell, Satan and all the other evil spirits, who prowl about the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen."

Might this be a possibility? Thank you kindly!

Gary
The Boss

Re: Scroll request: The St. Michael prayer

Post by Gary » Nov 4, 2012 10:29 pm

This is tricky.

I can do Bible verses rather easily, as you just look them up in the most common Chinese or Japanese Bible.

This is a little different. I don't want to translate it from scratch (as that could take hours since things like proverbs, poems, philosophy, and things like this prayer take forever to make the translation perfect).

I did a quick search, but all I could find were some versions in Chinese. I could not find a Japanese version (I'm sure one exists, I just could not find an "official" version). I am guessing this is because Chinese Catholics far outnumber Japanese Catholics.

Do you happen to have the Japanese text that you want used for this?

-Gary.

j_smith898

Post by j_smith898 » Nov 4, 2012 11:01 pm

Hmm, I'm afraid I do not, sir. I will be sure to post them if I manage to locate it. Thank you kindly for your assistance!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 4, 2012 11:15 pm

As I searched further, I think I found a place where you asked for this on another forum. The answer was...

大天使聖ミカエル、戦いにおいてわれらを護り、悪魔の凶悪なる謀計に勝たしめ給え。天主のかれに命を下し給わんことを伏して願い奉る。あゝ天軍の総帥、霊魂をそこなわんとてこの世をはいかいするサタンおよびその他の悪魔を、天主の御力によりて地獄に閉込め給え。アーメン。

This is really a lot of characters, so it's not a cheap proposition.

If you wanted just the title of "Archangel Michael's Prayer", it would be a lot shorter:
大天使聖ミカエルへの祈り

-Gary.

j_smith898

Post by j_smith898 » Nov 4, 2012 11:44 pm

Gary wrote:As I searched further, I think I found a place where you asked for this on another forum. The answer was...

大天使聖ミカエル、戦いにおいてわれらを護り、悪魔の凶悪なる謀計に勝たしめ給え。天主のかれに命を下し給わんことを伏して願い奉る。あゝ天軍の総帥、霊魂をそこなわんとてこの世をはいかいするサタンおよびその他の悪魔を、天主の御力によりて地獄に閉込め給え。アーメン。

This is really a lot of characters, so it's not a cheap proposition.

If you wanted just the title of "Archangel Michael's Prayer", it would be a lot shorter:
大天使聖ミカエルへの祈り

-Gary.

Ha! Yep! Both places I asked seem to reply at the same time. That's it alright! I've wanted to try my hand at making it myself, but I know it's no match for the art that your company is offering ... but I'd imagine it'd be rather costly.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 7, 2012 9:26 pm

I'd have to use the Japanese master calligrapher for this (can't be done by the economy calligrapher). The cheapest reasonable option would be a medium-sized wall scroll for $112.88 (shipping included).

Let me know if you what me to set that up.

-Gary.