Please add this to the database

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
araneaus

Please add this to the database

Post by araneaus » Sep 21, 2012 8:33 am

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I have stumbled across a Japanese phrase called Shokunin Kishitsu that I am thinking of ordering a Japanese scroll for.
I have looked it up and it seems that Google comes up with several transations for it:

1. Craftsman's Spirit
2. Way of the Craftsman

But what I really like about the concept is how it describes one of my character/attitude about my work.
Shokunin Kishitsu is all about taking pride in one's work. I got this from my Dad and my Mom who both were hard
and exacting workers till the end (I was born and raised in Manila, The Philippines).

I'm wondering how this would look like in a Japanese scroll for my home office. Most of the images in Google that I've
seen seem to only show two characters that, when I use Google Translate, the two Japanese characters only translate to the word "Craftsman".
I'm afraid that the two-character-only image does not capture the entire concept or phrase (Craftsman's Spirit or Spirit of the Craftsman).
I would of course like to have the entire concept in the scroll.

I appreciate your help and assistance on this. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
J

Yankee
Super Gaijin - Japanese Guru

Re: Please add this to the database

Post by Yankee » Sep 21, 2012 9:44 am

Gary,

In an effort to save you some time, the phrase referenced here is 職人気質 [shokunin kishitsu], which Jim Breen's dictionary lists as 'spirit of a true artisan' or '(a craftsman's) pride in one's work'. It seems to be a readily understood phrase amongst native Japanese speakers.

Araneaus,

For what it's worth, I personally think this is an excellent choice for a wall scroll. Good call! :-)

Scott

araneaus

Post by araneaus » Sep 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Thank you very much, Scott, for looking this up.
I'm new to using the website and the forum, so please bear with my questions.

I'm wondering how the process is for a phrase (such as what I just requested) to be considered for inclusion in the database and thus be made available for purchase as a wall scroll?

Regards,
J

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 22, 2012 11:52 am

I use the Jim Breen dictionary data in my dictionary interface:
dictionary.php?q=%E8%81%B7%E4%BA%BA%E6%B0%97%E8%B3%AA

You can order this as a wall scroll by clicking on the "Buy a Calligraphy Wall Scroll" link below the definition.

Cheers,
-Gary.