Tattoo

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
Ydob.oN

Tattoo

Post by Ydob.oN » Jun 26, 2016 7:11 pm

I was wondering if you can translate this one in Chinese, Japanese Kanji or katakana

GOD IS MY SAVIOR

please I'm trying to get a tattoo for that I just want to make sure the artist know what they doing and it's right

Thank you

Gary
The Boss

Re: Tattoo

Post by Gary » Jun 30, 2016 9:03 am

OK, I talked to a couple Chinese and one Japanese Christian. None of them said this phrase was typical in their religion. It was far more likely that someone would write, "Jesus is my Savior."

Here's a few versions of that phrase:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.ph ... +My+Savior

If you need tattoo templates, you can order those here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php

When I make a custom set of tattoo templates, they work like this:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/bushido-tattoo.php
If you choose Chinese, you get more than 100 styles to choose from. Japanese will have about 72 styles.

Ydob.oN

Post by Ydob.oN » Jul 15, 2016 11:14 am

But can they Translate the "God is my Savior " instead of Jesus is my savior?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 15, 2016 12:25 pm

The reason I went out of my way to talk to some Chinese Christians is because this was not sounding very natural in general Chinese. I wanted to know how they would say it, and the response was, "We'd never say it that way."

They did say "Jesus is my Savior" made sense within the realm of Chinese Christianity, but I got a clear "God is the creator, the Holy Spirit is the guide, and Jesus is the Savior" message from them.

I presume you are a member of a different religion that believes God/Allah/Jehovah is the savior of mankind. Perhaps if you let me know what the religion is, I can find further information for you.

Ydob.oN

Post by Ydob.oN » Jul 19, 2016 7:39 am

I'm just a regular Ccatholic / Christian o respect all the religion

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

Well, if we ignore the normal usage in Christianity, this is how you would say God is my savior...

上帝是我救主

shàng dì shì wǒ jiù zhǔ

上帝 God
是 is
我 my/me
救主 savior

When you are ready, you can order your tattoo template here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php
I don't count articles, so just count this as 3 words for the purposes of pricing the templates. The total will be $30 for access to this phrase in over 100 styles.

I would still rather give you something like "Jesus Christ is my Savior."

However, I was talking to Protestant Chinese Christians, so there might be a Catholic tenet or idea that is different from the Protestant ideas. There have been Catholics in China since Jesuit missionaries ministered to the elite of China in the 16th century (and later the Jesuits learned that you should minister to everyone, including the common, lest the commoners rise up in resentment and chase you out of the country). There are many Catholic churches across China today, however, I don't think I personally know a Chinese Catholic to check any information with.

I can test the phrase by doing a Google search with quotes:
"上帝是我救主" (God is My Savior) gets just 3 results.
"耶穌是我救主" (Jesus is My Savior) gets 13,400 results.
"耶穌基督是我救主" (Jesus Christ is My Savior) gets 16,300 results.

While not completely scientific, this does show how much more often the Jesus phrase is used in the Chinese-speaking Christian world.

I am putting all of this extra effort into this, just to make sure you are making an informed decision (and not get a tattoo that you will regret later).